My 4r70w is PERFECT ~! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Talking My 4r70w is PERFECT ~!

All you poor bastards on here every day whining about your POS Trannys... I LUV mine - 30K after upgrades & it's a work of freaking ART thanx to DD & Darrin & Jerry & these Boards ~!

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
LOL

Who's wining? I killed mine fair and square with too many pulls in OD.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I also took matters into my own hands and fixed my annoying and what I thought was beyond help transmission in my 97 Mark VIII and got it to within 5% of what I wanted, which is for it to be exactly like the one in my 97 Cougar. However using an off the shelf modified plate (maybe not off the shelf but I agonized for weeks on what I set mine at) and the different TC and powerband of SOHC versus DOHC I don't think I could get it any better.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Talking

The Pre 98's were SO BAD it kinda ruined the whole car but you never new that until you fixed it - Boards were kinda DEAD & I had a few Cocktails & nobody Posts when their Tranny is PERFECT so....

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
The trans in my 97 bird is perfect and the trans in my 97 f-150 is 10% from perfect in my opinion, the "monster in a box" kit just isn't as good as the Jerry spec'd build.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Question

Actually I always wondered if Jerry's Light Blue Upper 1-2 would'nt be better than the Brown upper DD sent me... Lt Blue might be a tad more mellow 1-2 under 2K RPM when I am ***** footing around... so hell I may NOT be so damned perfect...

Last edited by BUCK; 03-30-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: I may NOT be so damned perfect...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 02:03 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
all you got is a measly 4R70W?? PFffttt....how about all out race-spec 4R75W...

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up 4r75w

Point taken... I don't have enuff Motor to get that things attention ~!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 AM

I am glad to here you love your 4r70w, but now tell us what you did to get it to the point that you love it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I would love to take the time and spend the money and do a real build. However until I am dealing with anything more than simple bolt ons and off the shelf tunes, I am happy to have at least 97s to start with. I would prefer 98 for OWC and 2001 for revised OD circuit in VB as a baby step up from what I have now. I am pretty rough on my cars, I drive them pretty hard and do things your not supposed to do, 4-2 wot down shifts, manual 4-2 down shifts, low speed accelerating in manual second, stuff like that.

My 97 Cougar simply got the separator plate drilled to various specs, updated new style accumulator pistons, and a big cooler. Before it was just lazy and had a slight sag into one gear, and a free wheel going into another.

My 97 Mark VIII got a plate drilled out by Robert, new accumulator pistons, Sonnax pressure regulator valve and pressure regulator boost valve and sleeve. It refused to engage 3rd or 4th when WOT and letting off the throttle, it would free wheel and take 10+ seconds to shift. It also had(has) a slight sag part to full throttle 1-2 shift. This is much better now but still noticeable, but I think it is mainly because I can hear the exhaust on this car.

My 2000 Grand Marquis just has 226,000 miles on it, 7 fluid changes. It is leaking from the front pump but not tearing into it for a quarter sized drop once a week. I have stopped doing full fluid changes (14 qts draining the TC) and just do a pan drop and 4-5 quarts. With the stock programming, 2.73 rear gear, it might as well be a CVT, I can't feel shifts, TC lock/unlock, nothing.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
The Pre 98's were SO BAD it kinda ruined the whole car but you never new that until you fixed it - Boards were kinda DEAD & I had a few Cocktails & nobody Posts when their Tranny is PERFECT so....
LOL - Good Call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
all you got is a measly 4R70W?? PFffttt....how about all out race-spec 4R75W...

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...1_192219-1.jpg

You're not the only one with an "all out race-spec 4R75W..."

Oh, lets see...

There's me, Darren, Rob,Wayne, Ricky, Red97bird, ShadowDragon, KevinM, etc.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
Y'all's are all 4r70w, although if its an 03-04 it has the same hardened gear case

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Pfft. So what's the real difference between a late model 70 and a 75 series?

Then we have the 4R70W - E series?

From Wiki:

Quote:
4R75W

In 2003 Ford revised the 4R70W transmission with a stronger ring gear that had 24 lugs, as opposed to 6, for the output shaft sensor (OSS) to read off of, a new torque converter, a revised front pump assembly, and a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) that compliments the OSS to improve shift quality and efficiency. These improvements allowed the 4R75W to handle more power while being more efficient and economical. While not used on all 2003 model year vehicles, the 4R75W/E transmissions eventually replaced the 4R70W/E.

Newer transmissions that are referred to as 4R70E or 4R75E have modifications that compliment Fords switching to throttle by wire. The PCM was given a more powerful microprocessor and Ford added a turbine speed sensor to the transmission. This allows the PCM to know the speed of the input shaft after the torque converter which is used in combination with crankshaft speed to detect the amount of slipping going on in the torque converter. This information provides PCM with the basis for fully electronic shift scheduling which limits "hunting" and fine-tunes shift speed and feel. It lets the PCM know what the torque will be in the next gear so it can choose the shift points based on the vehicle's projected performance in the next gear. Coupled with the electronic throttle strategy, the transmission computes the output torque required to maintain the vehicle speed, and chooses the correct gear and converter state accordingly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AO...smission#4R75W

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 03-30-2013 at 11:22 AM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Y'all's are all 4r70w, although if its an 03-04 it has the same hardened gear case
Haha

TM, mine is a true 4R75W (2008) with not only the hardened gears, but a plethora of other upgrades that are not outlined in the Transmissions 101 article by Jerry. I worked closely with Alan for selecting these critical upgrades that would benefit my setup.

neener neener!!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
A true 4r75 has 2 speed sensors in case a 4r70w does not wiki pedia is wrong, I've go 2 4r75w here for sale the valve body is better and the OSS count is different

Robert

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 01:11 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks Rob.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Thanks Rob.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
LOL - Good Call.

You're not the only one with an "all out race-spec 4R75W..."

Oh, lets see...

There's me, Darren, Rob,Wayne, Ricky, Red97bird, ShadowDragon, KevinM, etc.
Hey now, let's not forget me...My 97 DOHC bird has a 4r75w, two sensors in the side of my case. My 97 F-150 on the other hand just has a rebuilt "monster in a box" 4r70w, and to be honest, I think I need to drop the pan and do something about the lack of a firm 1-2 shift. 2-3 almost bangs, and 3-4 is as firm as my t-bird.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
Quote:
Thanks Rob.

Oh, let it go.

You can take your "Mother of all Transmissions" and "Mother of all N/A 4.6's" and still not run as fast as we do with our "old school" 4R70W's. I don't care what "plethora of other upgrades" you've made to that trans. If there was that much to be gained I think Rob would be building, running and recommending 4R75's for everyone. Heck, he doesn't even have a 75 in his monster and is still running a built 70 series.

Show me the "substantial" benefits and gains that are to be made from the configuration that you have vs what we're running. Have you even figured out how to take advantage of that seconds sensor? Rob says the 94-97 Tbird PCM isn't even configured to read it ...

There may be some benefits from what you've done, obviously the VB is better, but are they really going to add up to much more than what's already been done with the 70W's? I doubt it...

When you to finish your project put some real numbers behind all the braggadocio... I look forward to the day that happens ...

It's easy to talk trash when you can only back it up in theory with gratuitous pictures of garage art.

Touché.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 PM
4th Gear Poster

LOL now it's on. TM Vs. GM!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in