HELP! Trans issue! Where does this piece go? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

HELP! Trans issue! Where does this piece go?

I am posting in here for hopes to get more views... Dropped my trans pan to change my filter and fluid, and this came with!

This must go somewhere, right? I'll check back periodically. But if someone can tell me where that should go, I'd really appreciate it... Thanks

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX in Midnight Blue - 4.6L V8 Currently at 78k miles. Assembled 3/22/95 - Reborn October 22, 2013 with tons less rust
1989 Ford Thunderbird S/C in White - 3.8L SC at 121k Miles.

Other ride:
1995 Ford Taurus LX Station Wagon, Old Man Tan, with the ever so powerful 3.8L V6 Essex!

2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium - Wife's car - Old man tan as well with a Duratec! Leaky Fun with oil everywhere 89k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Trash can or your souvenir drawer. It's a factory shipping plug with no other purpose. You don't need to replace it anywhere.

I forget what it's called but this comes up once or twice a year....

BTW that pan is really clean.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Oh really? Ahhh, that's the biggest sigh of relief. I did do a trans flush by pulling the return line, added a few qts of Mercon V, then repeated a few times. It was a bit worse. In that case, I can start reassembly. Thank you very much! I probably would have found it if I didn't panic and did a search

So that thing was just riding around my trans pan... Lol, how about that.

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX in Midnight Blue - 4.6L V8 Currently at 78k miles. Assembled 3/22/95 - Reborn October 22, 2013 with tons less rust

Other ride:
1995 Ford Taurus LX Station Wagon, Old Man Tan, with the ever so powerful 3.8L V6 Essex!

2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium - Wife's car - Old man tan as well with a Duratec! Leaky Fun with oil everywhere 89k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I knew I was going to see that.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Keep it incase you ever have to pull the tranny, it makes a good plug for the dipstick hole so you don't spill fluid everywhere

Rob
2004 QSM Pontiac GTO 1 of 889 245,00 and counting
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM
PostWhore

Garage
+1 it is indeed rather nice as a plug. suppose that could have something to do with that being its original purpose.

yeah, they ship the trans with that installed in the dipstick hole, then during assembly they just pop the stick in and push that plug down into the pan.

all it really says is that your trans pan has never been off. looks like it was running really good and healthy too.

just make sure you use the reusable gasket, their much much MUCH better then any of those rubber pieces of [email protected] that come in the parts store kits. filters are fine, just toss that rubber thing in the trash.

look it over for damage, if none is found reuse it, otherwise head to the local dealership and buy a new one.

also, now would be a great time to get yourself a 96+ pan and filter. they arnt susceptible to dry sump under hard cornering. 95 and down were know for slipping out of gear under hard turns when the fluid sloshed to one side and the sump sucked air into the valve body.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 03-31-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: also
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Ah, that would have been good to know about a few hours ago. I already reinstalled it with the factory 95 pan/gasket.

Seems I added a bit too much fluid, so I'll have to siphon that out. Next time I play around inside my transmission I'll do that. Which may be in the near future. I've heard a lot of good things about J-Modding it. I kind of do want my trans to last, but right now I just want it to be healthy, and hopefully take care of the vibrating on accelerating for now.

Other ride:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in