Questions about trans cooling and lines - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Questions about trans cooling and lines

One thing I was planning to do to my T-Bird sometime when Spring ever decides to arrive is add a transmission cooler, now I do have a trans cooler from a Gen2 Taurus SHO, looks like this:

Apparently it was a heavy duty cooler, I was going to put it in my Taurus until I sold it, so I have it lying around.

Would it work? I would assume so at least. Or should I go with another cooler perhaps?

Also, the cooler lines going into the transmission. In about the middle, they are rusted/corroded, I wanted to run all new lines, but I noticed how close the lines are to the exhaust, so using rubber lines might not be too good there.

Any preferred way to run new lines?

Appreciate any help I can get

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX in Midnight Blue - 4.6L V8 Currently at 78k miles. Assembled 3/22/95 - Reborn October 22, 2013 with tons less rust
1989 Ford Thunderbird S/C in White - 3.8L SC at 121k Miles.

Other ride:
1995 Ford Taurus LX Station Wagon, Old Man Tan, with the ever so powerful 3.8L V6 Essex!

2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium - Wife's car - Old man tan as well with a Duratec! Leaky Fun with oil everywhere 89k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I had custom one offs made with 3/8th hard line and a custom hi temp racing flex hoses in the middle of the plumbing to snake over the k member near the exhaust. Dirty dog bent the line and a shop made the hoses. NIce cooler.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 12:08 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

I think the SHO Cooler work fine.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 01:35 PM
PostWhore

Garage
ford should have put those on ever single Taurus... they might have had less failures

looks like a nice decent size tank style, so yeah, it would work fine for anything. much better then the tube/fin junk. as long as it fits in the airdam i would definitely install it. and since the trucool max fits. you shouldn't have any problems.

makes me want to head back out to the U-Pull-It and grab the cooler off this SHO they have lying around. crazy its still their and someone hasn't yanked the yamaha intake off it yet.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If your worried about heat on your lines. Summit and Jegs sells heat shield tubing for wires and lines.

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Agreed. I just didn't know how most people ran their lines. I've heard of using the fittings that have the hose adapter into the trans, then to the radiator, then to the aux cooler, then back to the trans. I want to replace all my hard metal lines since it's rotted to hell, and I am sure they'll fail eventually. Or should I do hard line up to a certain point, and then go rubber?

Or does someone sell something similar to what I described? Also, I hate using flare tools. I suck at those lol

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX in Midnight Blue - 4.6L V8 Currently at 78k miles. Assembled 3/22/95 - Reborn October 22, 2013 with tons less rust
1989 Ford Thunderbird S/C in White - 3.8L SC at 121k Miles.

Other ride:
1995 Ford Taurus LX Station Wagon, Old Man Tan, with the ever so powerful 3.8L V6 Essex!

2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium - Wife's car - Old man tan as well with a Duratec! Leaky Fun with oil everywhere 89k miles
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Run hard lines most of the way up. Rubber insulates and is too easy to get kinked.

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in