Will this transmission work on a 95 thunderbird lx - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Will this transmission work on a 95 thunderbird lx

I found a transmission but unsure what year it is and trying to find out if it will swap directly into my 95 thunderbird lx or will I have to repin harness, also will I be able to use torque converter that comes with it. The guy is telling me it came from a 97 mark viii

Code on transmission is

PKE-AN1 9N
XW7P-7000-AA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Direct swap. You just need to swap TCC solenoids

-Matt
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

TCC swap

swap the TCC solenoids out? to 1.3 ohm tcc or the newer 10 ohm tcc, i was under the impression that 95+ trannys came with newer tcc. sorry just a little confused here. So that code is indeed from a 97 mark viii?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Use your stock TCC in the 97 trans. The TCCs were updated in 96 when the PCMs were updated.

-Matt
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks very much for your help.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Don't forget the flexplate if going with the 11.25 TC that a Mark VIII would have instead of the 12 inch one your car has/had.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Where would be a good place to get a flexplate that would mount up to my flywheel? and will it cause anything different in shift rpms, if i cant find one i have my 12" tc from old tranny.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unzem View Post
Where would be a good place to get a flexplate that would mount up to my flywheel? and will it cause anything different in shift rpms, if i cant find one i have my 12" tc from old tranny.
OLD TC + Newish Tranny = Bad News SO>>> good time to get a proper 11 inch TC & Flex Plate from one of our wonderful Vendors - Otherwise odds are you'll be jerking this newish Tranny back out again REAL soon - Your 95 TC = POS... just like your 95 Tranny was.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I have the 11" TC just need to find a flexplate for it but first time in the market for one so not sure what im looking for. What vendor?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I did some searching on transmission ID tag and several sites, including an article I found on here that this transission is from a 99 crown vic / gran marquis, other than a repin would this tranny go directly in?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unzem View Post
I did some searching on transmission ID tag and several sites, including an article I found on here that this transission is from a 99 crown vic / gran marquis, other than a repin would this tranny go directly in?
Well as Post #2 says you'd still have TTC swap - Do a Search here on Speedcal for Spreedo compatabilty answers.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM
PostWhore

Garage
yep, if it is indeed out of a newer crown vic it will still swap, but the TCC with need to be replaced, the flexplate, and a repin. do NOT forget the TCC or smoke will billow from your ECM. oh, and measure its length, if its from a interceptor the tail-shaft will be longer and will not work, needing a swap.

plus I'm not sure what year they did it, but the output shaft might have a different number of splines on it for the VSS so your speedo wont work unless you use the speedcal like buck mentioned, or pull it apart and swap in the outputshaft with the correct splines.

i want to say you can correct for it with a gear, but what i hear is that the gears made that large to compensate for the difference in the tailshaft are aftermarket only, and made from subpar junk. they tend to rip themselves apart over time and litter your valve body with the pieces.

otherwise, 98+ means much much better valve body, mechanical diode one way clutches, instead of the roller clutches that most likely were the death of your 95. better case design, better convertor, etc

some say its the best thing you can ever do to a Tbird besides reargears, swapping in a late model trans.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 05-01-2013 at 08:05 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Ok thank you everyone very much for the help, I guess I will figure out exactly what I need to do tomorrow when I get back home. Been itching to get under car and put tranny in the old tbird so I can keep miles off my current daily. Hope all goes well.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

You'll love it... here is happy Camper on MKVIII Boards:

http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dc...id=82087&page=

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Ok, I have determined after returning home that this TC is indeed 11.25" now my problem is finding a flexplate. I wasted hours driving around to all the parts stores within a 50 mile radius and countless hours looking online with no luck. I did find this website ( http://www.bulkpart.com/aodconverter.html ) No part store could pull up one for a mark viii and the only one they could find was for the 96-03 mustang GT but for whatever reason was the same size as my old one but according to that chart should have been for the 11.25" Im at my witts end here, so does anyone have a flexplate that will bolt up to my 95 thunderbird lx for this TC I can buy from them or know where I can get one.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 08:51 PM
PostWhore

Garage
odd you cant find a new one, when i swapping in my mk8 trans i just went to the local salvage yard and asked if they had any mk8s in the yard.

they had one, and the motor and trans were already pulled and shelved, they went out in the warehouse and pulled the flexplate off the motor and sold it to me for a couple of dollars.

i'd try some local pick and pull yards, as long as the teeth are in good shape and the holes aren't damaged a used one should be perfectly fine.

they might even let you look around their warehouses and measure some of them on the shelved motors and pick one you want.

just got to make sure it has the same amount of crank bolts as yours and the TC holes are in the right place.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 05-04-2013 at 09:08 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I finally found something online after broadening my search on the flexplates. This is the correct diameter and number of teeth. http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...atp_19260053-p picture of the torque converter in case its not what i think it is somebody can point that out for me http://www.imgur.com/TVwWDtN.jpeg
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:50 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

11 Inch Flexplate a dime a dozen...

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=51637

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Success

I finally got all my parts in and was able to install my tranny this weekend, everything went surprisingly smooth. Thank you everyone who had input and to the articles here. My only problem I have now which doesnt bother me too much is that my speedo is off by quite a bit, 70 on speedo im actually at 60 and 110 I govern out but only doing 90 according to gps. Ive read through the speedcal posts but my question is do I have to know what rear end the old car the tranny was in or just go by mine (3.08) and stock tire size. I used my old vss which is still brand new (green plastic gears)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in