03 gt trans kicked a code - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

03 gt trans kicked a code

Still having trans issues....Read on

edited because I'm a trans noob

I didnt clear the ECM when I installed the new speedo gear and the trans was searching for gears. Also my shifter isnt completely hitting drive after I drop it from neutral, I have to go past drive then back up into drive until it clicks. MLPS? or maybe the shifter cable is out of adjustment. I know the MLPS is aligned to neutral perfectly though.

thanks to Alan for taking some time and talking me through some things. SCT tune is getting ordered this week too.

94 LX 4.6 FRP 3.73 Aluminum diff, 3.5 Aluminum driveshaft, 1.6" drop springs, SC leather interior, SC body kit and bumper, 1-1/4" front shock tower brace, 1-1/4" rear sway bar, square tube rear shock tower brace, custom front chassis supports (made by me ) Cobra brakes front/rear, 17" Cobra R's staggered and so much more

71 Nova SS 468 4-speed...nuff said

Last edited by Hasher-76; 05-02-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Did you use the 03 TCC solenoid or swap in the one from your 94? P0741 is "Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Performance Or Stuck Off"

-Matt
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

i used my old one, 30ohms. I transfered all of the wiring and solenoids from the older trans to this one. Trans was slipping during my last trip around the block when in D, drove just fine in 1&2 manually

94 LX 4.6 FRP 3.73 Aluminum diff, 3.5 Aluminum driveshaft, 1.6" drop springs, SC leather interior, SC body kit and bumper, 1-1/4" front shock tower brace, 1-1/4" rear sway bar, square tube rear shock tower brace, custom front chassis supports (made by me ) Cobra brakes front/rear, 17" Cobra R's staggered and so much more

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

would a tune help this out possibly? I still have the stock tune with 3.73 gears, and DD tc.

trans felt pretty damn hot too, I have a 10k towing plate cooler but still felt hot to me. I dont have the temp gauge hooked up yet to know exactly how hot.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Ok so more issues this morning. After I reset the computer I took it for a ride and everything felt great. Trans cooler (Hayden 679) felt cool so I pulled off the line to check flow and it came out full flow so I reconnected it and put the car away till this morning.
Drove to work (~20 miles) and it worked great in the beginning. Trans warmed up about half way there then started acting up. First was slightly hesitant after coming to a full stop, then OD (4th) would free-spin when trying to engage and the R's would go up. I have to let off for a few seconds to get it to engage 4th, then it works and holds fine.
Get to work and check out the temps on the trans by feeling it. Fluid in the trans is luke warm, cooler is ice cold. Pull off the line to the cooler to check flow, now I have no flow to the cooler. Last night it would pump out of there like crazy, now ZERO. Even after reving the motor in park would not cause fluid to pump. Checked trans fluid again and its showing overfilled now, like its not pumping any fluid anywhere and its sitting in the pan.

I will also add that I filled the trans correctly during the install, manually ran through the gears, topped off to the correct level and drove it, rechecked perfect. Two days later when the trans was acting up I checked the fluid and it was over the HOT full line so I pulled a little out via the cooler line and filled it up to the correct spot again. Today it appears like its overfilled again like its not pumping the fluid.

Help Please

I know I still need the tune, but no fluid flow to the cooler doesnt sound like a tune fix to me.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
If the pump wasnt working, the car wouldnt even move, right? How is it still driving with no flow through the cooler? Is there a cooler bypass valve in the pump?

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

i still dont know what is going on in that trans, I swapped trans' out and now I seem to have a driving car, will drive it more tonight to find out.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Sounds to me that you simply have a bum 03 gt transmission.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

but its turned itself into a really nice bench weight.....

i'm gonna tear into it once the car is out of the garage for a bit. I figured returning it for warranty and costing shipping would cost as much as a rebuild kit so I may just go that route.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Being it ran fine in manual 1st & 2nd definitely sounds like a weak pump issue; I believe the ECM commands higher pressures in manual gears.

Let us know what you find out when you get into it!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

lack of a tune cause this? or anything else to fail internally?

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasher-76 View Post
lack of a tune cause this? or anything else to fail internally?
Yes, the tranny pump is internal. Who knows why (or even if - we don't know if that's what's wrong)?

No, a lack of a tune won't cause a tranny pump failure.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in