vss gear question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
vss gear question

so, is their any real difference between the manual and automatic VSS gears besides the little shaft on the end being longer on the auto in comparison to the manual?

are the gears the same mesh?

i have a 17 tooth out of my trans lying here, and it just so happens my fathers ranger needs one instead of his 18 tooth to correct for the larger tires. but his is technically manual since its mounted in the transfer case...

couldn't i just snip the end off a bit and use it? or is the mesh wrong between the two and they will chew each other up?

tried to poke it in their but the shaft is indeed too long and the VSS wont go all the way inside. otherwise everything else seems the same but the weird wavy looking base on the manual gear and the auto is just round.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Yes, you can just shorten the end of it and install it into the ranger.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nall_one View Post
are the gears the same mesh?
I'm pretty sure the diameter of the drive gear is different; the manual shaft is ~2", and the auto is 2.5, or something like that.

Note the angles of the teeth are different just a little bit.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
see that was my biggest concern really, it looked to me like the gear mesh wasn't right. from the picture it dose seem a tab bit off, but since their not lying exactly parallel i think it might be a trick of the eye.

wonder if i should just order a white 17 just to be safe. it seemed liked it wanted to mesh up right, but if its off a bit and i drive it a while it might require a transfer-case disassembly >.>

95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
When I did my first T45 swap, I cut the tip off the stock auto trans speedo gear and put it in the manual trans, and it worked perfectly for over 2 years. You can order the right one if you want, they are cheap enough, but it will work just fine by cutting it.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
what the heck, ill put it in their and see what happens. not like the thing is too much longer for the world anyway.

kindof my fathers beater, rusting to the ground, clunking, banging, and clattering.

only thing it has going for it is the low millage power-train we stuffed in, out of a explorer. our 200k+ original A4LD was puking fluid from the pump seal and the cam bearings in the 4.0 were worn out. it was definitely time...

huh, ya know whats weird, that transfer case doesn't even have a hole for that stub on the end... it just pokes in their and rides on the big ring gear, so the old one of course has worn off a bit of the VSS from rubbing under the pressure... that seems sort of silly, i thought they put that stub on their for just that reason, to hold the gear straight as its being pressed on by the other ring one. pretty sure the one on my bird had a hole it slid down into. oh well, seemed to go in fine anyway. we'll see what happens tomorrow when my father drives it to work with the TomTom for backup XD

Last edited by nall_one; 05-07-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: huh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in