Another trans, more woes - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Another trans, more woes

well I finished installing another trans (known good) in my 94 bird. Had a front pump leak so I replaced the gasket and outer seal. All the front clutches looked new, fluid looked great as well. I installed brand new SS and TCC solenoid (1.5ohms) and new Castrol Merc V.

First while filling the trans and cycling it through the gears I had 1, 2, D and R. Went for a test drive and trans was in 2 the whole time never shifted to 3-4 or down to 1. Manually shifted it to 1, worked. Manually shifted to 2, worked. Put in D, shifted 1-2-3-4 and TC lock now. Went around the block everything worked. 1-2 shift was hard and firm, chirped 2 under light throttle every time.
On the way back home I stopped at a light, no 1. Was in 2 then shifted to 3 and what felt like 4 but maybe TC. I have no manual 1 anymore either. Starts in 2 then goes through the rest.

thinking possible SS bad from new ? Just odd how it didnt shift at all, then I manually shifted it and it worked for a few mins then no manual 1.

94 LX 4.6 FRP 3.73 Aluminum diff, 3.5 Aluminum driveshaft, 1.6" drop springs, SC leather interior, SC body kit and bumper, 1-1/4" front shock tower brace, 1-1/4" rear sway bar, square tube rear shock tower brace, custom front chassis supports (made by me ) Cobra brakes front/rear, 17" Cobra R's staggered and so much more

71 Nova SS 468 4-speed...nuff said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

kinda quiet over here, either everyone is looking for similar answers or no one has any ideas.

I changed out the MLPS and I "seem" to have first gear every time now....Fingers crossed. I would love to drive it more but I should get a tune for it since I have 3.73's now

94 LX 4.6 FRP 3.73 Aluminum diff, 3.5 Aluminum driveshaft, 1.6" drop springs, SC leather interior, SC body kit and bumper, 1-1/4" front shock tower brace, 1-1/4" rear sway bar, square tube rear shock tower brace, custom front chassis supports (made by me ) Cobra brakes front/rear, 17" Cobra R's staggered and so much more

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 PM
4th Gear Poster

check the harness pins for corrosion or broken pins.
the plug on the driver side that people talk about the pin out for during trans swaps
do that before the solenoids themselves
the solenoids have to be working if you "shifted 1-2-3-4" manually

also check the pinout just to be sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

i swapped out the entire trans harness from my 94 so the pinout is factory

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Its possible you may have a bent terminal, or that the female end of the connector is whored out or backed out. Check the wires for any damage as well

Rob
2004 QSM Pontiac GTO 1 of 889 245,00 and counting
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

as of today I have all the gears so whatever I did, its working as of now. I will drive it more each day until I trust its all there all the time.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

i have a higher stall TC in there (~2800) and 3.73 gears, will I damage anything internal by driving it without a tune? I have a speedo gear in there to adjust the readout but I dont have a tune for my SCT yet and I wanted to drive the car but I dont want to ruin anything in the trans by doing so.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

ok i think its electrical now. Drove today and had everything. After a short while I lost 1+4, CL like tossed p0713 TFT sensor and p0750 Shift Solenoid. Seems like theres a loose connection or wire somewhere. More work tomorrow.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

bit of luck today. Cleaned all of the electrical contacts on the trans today and found the solenoid harness no completely seating. The silicone seal in the harness was folded in the bottom of the plug preventing full contact. I had to remove the seal as I could not get it straight and the plug fully seated and trans has never missed a shift since.

bad luck always follows as my trucks front hub went out on the way home so now I got that to do. Hope the tbird holds up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in