Another "Will this tranny fit" question. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Another "Will this tranny fit" question.

I have a 94 Thunderbird with a 4.6 sohc, my old tranny is shot! I seen an ad on Craigslist on with 2 trannies for sale. One came out of a 98 Lincoln towncar and the other is 2000 crown Victoria. Don't know if its a PI, but these trannies are selling for $150 and guaranteed 100% working. Any help is appreciative, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Town Car will have the long output shaft and extension housing so won't work without a teardown and replacing the output shaft.

The Crown Vic one will work with moderate changes as long as it isn't a CVPI/P71 (same long output shaft/extension housing as Town Car).

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Get the CV tranny, J-Mod it, run it hard! You will love it...

Your car will feel like a totally different vehicle. If you can get a Mark VIII Torque Converter & Flywheel, that would be a worthwhile upgrade at the same time - then your car will be really fun to drive!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

What is the difference between a standard crown and a pi crown?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by memfus_boi View Post
What is the difference between a standard crown and a pi crown?
The Police Interceptor has a shorter drive shaft for performance reasons (and henceforth the longer tail shaft on the tranny to make up for it).

PI does not mean the newer Performance Improved heads/intake in this case.

If you really want to make sure it's the right tranny, just ask the guy selling it if the tranny's look alike or if one looks longer than the other. You need the short one...

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Look at the VIN for the car, if it has P71 then it is a CVPI and the transmission will have a longer tailshaft and output shaft, and the better 11.25 torque converter.

If the transmission is already out of the vehicle, the following 2000 CV transmissions should be fine (same output shaft and extension housing as your car)
PKE-BB
PKE-AN
PKG-AN

PKE-BB is from an HPP car, which will have the better 11.25 TC and the correct output shaft for your use.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

So if I get the tranny from the crown Victoria, I should get the drive shaft also, only if its an p71 tranny? Sorry I'm a noob to tranny
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Also when I the tranny, I plan on grabbing the torque converter also
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
So if I get the tranny from the crown Victoria, I should get the drive shaft also, only if its an p71 tranny? Sorry I'm a noob to tranny
No, you can't use the P71 tranny with it's matching drive shaft. It's still not the right length for YOUR car.

The only drive shafts that are the same length is 94-97 Tbird/Cougar & 93-98 Mark VIII unless someone knows different.

Don't worry about the DS, just get the right tranny. Basically the ONLY two cars that have a different 4R70W are the Town Car and PI/P71 Crown Vics.

The Mark VIII converter is an upgrade because it is smaller (11.25") then your stock converter (12") and has a higher stall, but you must get the matching flywheel because the holes aren't in your stock flywheel for the smaller converter (you can't bolt it up).

This post has a list of transmissions that will work (later models with some modifications):
http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=10

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Ok, iwill check the code on the 2000 crown Victoria and make sure its not a p71 or a PI and go from there. BTW, this is what I ran across on Craigslist..... http://memphis.craigslist.org/pts/3797174104.html
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 11:52 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
I have a 94 Thunderbird with a 4.6 sohc, my old tranny is shot! I seen an ad on Craigslist on with 2 trannies for sale. One came out of a 98 Lincoln towncar and the other is 2000 crown Victoria. Don't know if its a PI, but these trannies are selling for $150 and guaranteed 100% working. Any help is appreciative, thanks.

How do you know the trans is shot?

I thought my trans was bad, but all it needed was a new 1-2 accumulator piston -- that can be replaced without removing the transmission from the car.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Update: I officially parked my bird because I drove it to a local store but when I was coming home home I notice my tranny had a weird pull. Right before it changes gear, it seems like it its been dragged and then a hard thump. After a couple of times doing that, I notice a burning smell and smoke in the interior of my vehicle. At first a thought it was an electrical fire but I parked it becuase I think its my tranny burning.up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in