Yeah, I work on vans too.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88grandmarq Send a message via Yahoo to 88grandmarq
Arrow Yeah, I work on vans too....

Had a 2004 E-250 (5.4L/4R70W) towed to me over the weekend. Owner of the Van runs a local painting/remodeling business, says his crew "drove it until it stopped pulling".

The transmission had no engagement in ANY Forward gears, not even low 1, however reverse worked perfectly. The owner dropped the pan and replaced the filter/fluid, before he towed to me, he claims there was little to no debris in the pan.

Knowing vans in general are a pain to work on, I feared the worst. I was pleasantly surprised to find most of the transmission bolts and the wire connectors were easily accessible from the top, once the engine cover was removed;

Once the transmission was out, I found the OD band was burned and almost worn to the rivets. The forward clutch pack was burned because the outer piston seal was ripped in multiple places. No forward clutch engagement = No go forward!

I found NO other problems with this transmission. The direct, reverse and intermediate clutches had minimal wear, even with 100K on the odometer.
Going back together I discarded the wave plate in the forward clutch pack and increased it to 6 clutches. All the clutch pistons got new seals installed and I upgraded to OD band to the latest Ford unit, which uses a Hi-Energy carbon material that resists burning. Ford part # 7L3Z-7F196-A.

The OD servo return spring was updated to a softer spring, this allows the OD band to apply faster and hold more firmly. Ford part # F2VY-7F201-A.

To aid in better shifting I enlarged several holes in the valve body separator plate and installed updated shift valves from Sonnax.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 AM
6th Gear Poster

Question

Nice PIX & yeah that access sure beats a 30 Inch Extension ~! - So you are favoring that updated Ford OD Servo Pin Soft Spring setup now over the previous reccommended Sonnax O Ringed Servo Pin with Preloaded Spring Option ?

Other cool thing here is we have Pic of Truck VB Sep Plate w/"JMOD" holes on TCCOA.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 07-27-2013 at 01:13 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88grandmarq Send a message via Yahoo to 88grandmarq
there was no evidence of wear in the case or on the OD servo pin, so reused the old servo. I only used the updated Sonnax shift valves, not the OD pin.

The softer spring just helps the band engage faster and hold better.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in