Shops that do Jmod? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Shops that do Jmod?

Hello, I have a 2004 former police interceptor Crown Victoria and I was wondering if any body knows a shop near Southwest Virginia that does Jmods. I don't have the space to do it at my garage. I've already asked a couple transmission shops in my area and they either don't know what it is or they haven't responded.
P.S. I'm a member at CrownVic.net and someone suggested coming here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
How far are you from magic city ford in roanoke, I know someone there who would probably help you.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
There's a couple of guys here that live in the Va. Beach area that could probably help ya out as well.

... then there's Rob down in Carthage, NC ...

But yea, Siska or Blown38 or Tim Groth probably could help ya out as well in the Roanoke area.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I actually live in Roanoke and I tried calling Transmissions America, Bass Transmissions and Fleet Transmissions. I figured that I'd start with the non dealer shops since the dealers tend to charge an arm and a leg
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I've never heard of a dealer doing a j-mod on anything. I would think they'd turn it down since it could open them up to liability in case you lunch the trans afterwards, but I could be wrong.

IIRC there are some differences to the newer 4R's as far as the j-mod goes. I know when I did the one on my 03 LX Sport that I didn't have to do all the holes on the plate as they were already at spec.

Even on the lower setting (since the wife drives it more) if you hold it to the floor it will always squeal the drive belt on the 1-2 shift (think it's the alt causing it). Won't break the tires loose it just gets up and goes (for a Vic that is). It sucks when I forget and end up yanking all the CD's out of the cubby on a shift and throwing them under the seat/between the console, lol...

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

No I haven't either, I was just referring to Magic City Ford that dirtyd0g mentioned since they are a Ford dealer...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Converter Guy

It's not so much the dealership as who works there. Call them they will probably set you up or at the very least set you up with someone who will.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

So what should I ask them/ who should I ask for when I call?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Converter Guy

I will send you a pm.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Thank you everyone who replied your help is greatly appreciated!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I can tell you I j-modded a 2004 4R70W valve body and most of the holes are already the correct size or bigger than Jerry recommends.

By that year, almost all the short-comings had been addressed...

Just something to think about!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Oh, OK. Should I just have them remove the accumulator springs then? Or would it not even be worth it?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
I can tell you I j-modded a 2004 4R70W valve body and most of the holes are already the correct size or bigger than Jerry recommends.

By that year, almost all the short-comings had been addressed...

Just something to think about!
I completely agree there are only a couple holes not already the desired size, the sonnax pressure regulator valve that adds 3% pressure and accumulator spring changes will do everything you really need to get a better shift feel on most 01+ models. The 08 valvebodies actually make a jmod smaller than the existing holes

Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 09:41 AM
1st Gear Poster

Hey Crownvicnoob, I've been waiting to get my account at CVNet approved for over 2 weeks now. Tried every contact option available on the site to ask the admin about it, but my emails all get returned and the form on the contact page goes 404 when I click send.

Anyway you could contact the admin for me? (same username as here)

I just had to do an ignition cylinder replacement on mine without having a key and a complete motor swap, i figured everything out but it would have been great to be able to access the tech forums.

1997 Arctic Green LX - bought for $200
Alpine Audio, Air Silencer Delete, FRPP Wires, K&N Panel, Tru-Cool Max, Airlift 1000 bags, class II Draw Tite receiver hitch.
Gathered parts so far: 80mm MAF, 75mm TB, PI heads & intake.

2003 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, bought for $800, 85,000 miles, new daily driver.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I sent the Administrator a PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Instead of starting a new thread about the same thing. I want to do the jmod too but dont have the space. Does anyone know any place in Kansas City that does the jmod?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in