Tranny failure - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Tranny failure

Much to my pleasure I inherited a 97 T'Bird 4.6L with 148 k from my in-laws a couple of years ago. It was my daily driver for about a year; sweet ride. Last Spring I parked the car because it needed new tires and battery, and it isn't cheap to fuel. The car had also developed a hesitation/stutter in the engine that I intend to repair.

Yesterday I jumped the car off and let it idle till it was good and warmed up. When I shifted to drive...nothing. I had checked all fluids prior to starting the car so I rechecked the fluid level, and indeed, had ATF. The car had no transmission problems when the car was laid-up. Has anyone ever heard or seen a transmission fail like this? Any tips or suggestions are deeply appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'd check Neutral Safety Switch / Range Sensor on the side of the tranny, looks like this:

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 06:22 PM
PostWhore

Garage
yep, check the mlps

i have also seen the linkage from the shifter rot off the bottom of the car on my old 90. take a look at that too, if the shifter feels loose and floppy between gears.

both in the same place on the side of the trans, should be simple enough.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear Poster

what did the fluid look like was it nice and red or was it dark?....does it smell burnt?....a quick way to check the range selector with key on engine off put it reverse to see if the back up lights work and see if it starts in neutral....if it does probley not the switch
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 09:08 PM
PostWhore

Did you check the fluid before running or while it was running? If you checked it before and you had fluid it doesn't mean that it has enough fluid in it. It should be checked warm in park at idle.

That being said..... check the fluid before starting it(note how high it is), then check it after running to make sure the pump is good. If it drops it's good. If it stays high.... no good.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in