What should I do here? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

What should I do here?

Hey guys! Gonna try and make a long story short here. I bought a 97 4.6 bird night before last for $500 and planned to make it my new daily driver because the cougar is getting a high hp 4 valve in a couple weeks and I don't want to have to depend on the cougar as a daily driver. This bird is in ALMOST perfect condition. I say almost because the transmission just went last night . But hey, what can you expect for a $500 perfectly running, and good looking car. So no big deal because I have another 4r70w that is freshly built in my shop from my 5 speed swap on my cougar. The good transmission that I have is a 94 and was rebuilt stock by a shop here in town. I'm going with a 2600 stall converter and plan to do the jmod and aftermarket cooler when I put this one in. So here's the question. I've heard that the 96-97 valve bodies are better, so should I remove the vb from the trans in the car, do the jmod on that one, and install it on the 94? Or should I just jmod the one in the 94 and not use anything from the 97?

Thanks guys and sorry for the long story for such a short question, I just like to give a little background

--Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yeah 96/97 VBs are better than 94/95, but 99+ are better than 96/97, 02 are better than 99, etc. etc....

In general, the consensus is to start with a 99+ case and valve body for the best of all worlds.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Alright, thanks man. That's all I needed to know. I had seen a few people say that and wanted to verify that there's nothing special I need to know when putting a newer vb on an older trans. I wish I had a newer trans, but I don't so this will have to do. It's only had 8k on it before swapped to a t45, so it should be perfect for a daily driver. I'm keeping this car mostly stock anyways as I already have a highly modified supercoupe and fixing to be an even higher modified cougar. Just want a good strong trans in this car that will get me where I need to go and be a little more fun to drive than stock

--Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If this is just a daily driver, I say don't worry about it and throw it in the car as is, then if that trans eventually goes, get a 99+ trans to replace it, or just do another 5-speed swap.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
If this is just a daily driver, I say don't worry about it and throw it in the car as is, then if that trans eventually goes, get a 99+ trans to replace it, or just do another 5-speed swap.
Both of my other cars are 5 speed, so I think I'm going to keep this one auto, just in case I get tired of shifting sometimes. Lol, and I was having torque converter problems out of it before I took it out, so I don't want to use the same converter. I had the problems ever since I put it back in from the rebuild, so I think the builder went really cheap on the converter or something. Either way, I'm gonna go ahead and throw a stall in it just because I've only owned one vehicle with a stall in it, and I was VERY fun to drive, so I want another . Plus, the jmod is free except for gasket cost, so why not go ahead and do that?

P.S.
My supercoupe was also supposed to stay stock as a daily driver and it now has a roll cage and everything, so this one might not stay stock. I can't seem to keep one of these cars stock for some reason. Lol

--Ben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in