1995 Transmission question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Arrow 1995 Transmission question

The T-Bird we bought is a 1995 LX 40th Anniversary Edition. It just now turned 30,600 actual miles.

I am considering having the fluid, filter, and gasket changed.

I want to know the EXACT fluid, NOW recommended. Was it Mercron V ??

Is this a "stock fluid at a dealership" ?

I may add another magnet to the pan, just for my peace of mind. (Magnets are cheap).

I am also guessing to have the torque convertor drained. (OR is that part of the service)?

Is there a specific "brand" of filter, or just use a Motorcraft filter?

What else am I missing?

OH, "what" do additive do I get for help eliminating transmission shudder?

SORRY, to be so dumb, but I'm NOT a mechanic?

Thanx !!!!!!!!!!

Just want to get it right !!!!

Last edited by Tweety Bird; 02-26-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Forgot a statement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Mercon V. Make sure they drop the pan, clean the magnet, replace the filter, and drain the torque converter. Many shops stick a tube down the dipstick which sucks out the old fluid and pumps in the new fluid, which in reality gives you a diluted mix of old and new fluid with a dirty filter and magnet.

There's no need to replace the pan gasket unless it's torn or already leaking. It's a lifetime reusable metal and rubber gasket. You will probably want to upgrade to the deep sump pan and filter though, this helps prevent starvation on right turns.

The 1995 trans is about the worst of the lot with regards to factory parts and design reliability. With such low miles, you can ensure maximum life by going through the trans and drilling the separator plate to Jerry's specs, as well as replacing the old style o-ring accumulator pistons with the molded type. The 94 trans (which is worse than the 95 in a few areas) in my Cougar I got at about 112,000 miles and almost immediately did the above mentioned mods. almost 40,000 miles later, it still behaves better than when I got it.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

First of all thanx for the quick reply!!!!!

I need a couple of clarifications if you would/will.

1) What is the deep sump pan? A deeper trans pan? O.K. on the gasket.
2) Use a Motorcraft Filter? OR is there a better one??
3) Drill the seperator plate? Is that a big deal to do? (I will have to find that spec).
4) "Replace the old style o-ring accumulator pistons with the molded type".

A) Cost
B) Where to get
C) Part #
D) Level of difficulty for installation. (So I know whether or not to feel like they are getting to me, by claiming it's a tough thing to do if it's not.
E) Is this a common thing to expect a FORD shop to do, or should I take it to a transmission shop? Would the above drive the cost of the service up substantionally?

Again thanx, for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Have a look at these articles for details:
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...business.shtml
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...ybusiness.html

The mod is what's commonly known as the J-mod.

The parts can be had from a Ford dealer for sure. RobertP sells pre-drilled separator plates, gaskets and accumulators too.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The deep sump pan is from a 96+ transmission. It has added capacity and also remedies the fluid starvation that the flat pans are known to cause when going through a corner.

For the sep plate modification, it's called the J-mod. Plenty of info here on it. I think RobertP even sells kits for it.

I went with Motorcraft Mercon V. Others may have alternatives. I've smelled the Valvoline Mercon V and it smells burnt right out of the bottle. Filter can be Wix or any other high quality filter.

Ford dealers will not do the J-mod. This will have to be done by either yourself, or an independent trans. shop. As long as you have a good set of snap ring pliers you can do it yourself.

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

O.K., thanx. I will read the articles.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Arrow

NOW, I need to get ahold of RobertP for the pre-drilled seperator plates, gaskets, and accumulators.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 PM
PostWhore

It's only as difficult as your mechanical abilities

I know my way around a wrench so I'd say the Jmod is not that difficult, however to those who know basic stuff it can be a very daunting task, and it's not something you would want to screw up.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 11:10 AM
5th Gear Poster

the cleanest/quickest way to do this is suck the fluid out of the pan via the dipstick tube, drain the TC, drop the pan, replace the filter,clean the pan, replace the pan, add new fluid. easy, peasy.

I always replace the pan gasket. And forget about the cheap filters, go straight for the motorcraft part.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM
5th Gear Poster

If I read your post right, you are wanting a shop to perform the work and just want to be prepared with a list of things for them to do. If you want to do the work yourself, the hardest part is getting under the car. If you have access to a hoist, it's just a matter of following the directions in those links.

It is best for them to do a complete job, including draining the torque converter and changing the filter. Motorcraft filter? Sure, why not? RockAuto lists it for under $19, so there's no reason to cheap out on something that needs to be done every 30,000miles.

But while that pan is off the transmission, this is the PERFECT opportunity to do some preventative maintenance upgrades. Accumulator pistons and J-mod shift kit can be done without pulling the entire transmission out. A shop should charge no more than 2 hours labor (and that's being generous) for the work. The Ford dealer will have part numbers for everything.

Nice to see someone not waiting for the 100,000 mile mark for the first transmission fluid change!

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

This T-BIRD, is my "settlement" from a car wreck, that I was hurt in. ( Look at the pics of my car in the newbie area). IMO, it's a very pretty car. I keep my K/R truck as clean as I can too. I treat ALL of my vehicles like this. I've been told that I am "anal about my cars". I don't think so. I just like to take as good a care of my things as I can.

This car has about drove me nuts, as I could find NOTHING to even CLEAN on it !!!!

I wash, and chamois my boat, both before I go to the lake, and after it comes back. BUT, that's just me!!!

As I have stated, I am NOT a mechanic, BUT, I do believe in preventive maintenance.

I put a new set of tires,( T-rated), a new battery, a oil change, and filter, antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, VIPER remote start, lock system, tinted the windows, upgraded stereo with new speakers, a new serpentine belt, new rear mudflaps, strip across the top of the windshield, and windshield decal, in the first 3 days after I bought it !!

I even steam cleaned the carpets, and upholstery, and scotch guarded everything. I spent probably $75.00 on just cleaning supplies!!!

It's been polished 5 times since 9/21/13 !!!

The engine compartment is immaculate. (I had NOTHING to do with it).

The back window brake light was burnt out, and that drove me crazy one night, and I found myself out there at 3:30 in the morning changing that out!!

{My wife says I'm obsessed. LOL}

It's just that the car is "my toy". It gets alot of compliments everywhere we go.

We went out to eat tonight, and 2 people told me it was a beautiful car. [The guy that use to own it told me that it would happen].

Anyhow at the end of the day, it's just "my car" !!!

Check out the pics and let me know what you think.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
This T-BIRD, is my "settlement" from a car wreck, that I was hurt in. ( Look at the pics of my car in the newbie area). IMO, it's a very pretty car. I keep my K/R truck as clean as I can too. I treat ALL of my vehicles like this. I've been told that I am "anal about my cars". I don't think so. I just like to take as good a care of my things as I can.

This car has about drove me nuts, as I could find NOTHING to even CLEAN on it !!!!

I wash, and chamois my boat, both before I go to the lake, and after it comes back. BUT, that's just me!!!

As I have stated, I am NOT a mechanic, BUT, I do believe in preventive maintenance.

I put a new set of tires,( T-rated), a new battery, a oil change, and filter, antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, VIPER remote start, lock system, tinted the windows, upgraded stereo with new speakers, a new serpentine belt, new rear mudflaps, strip across the top of the windshield, and windshield decal, in the first 3 days after I bought it !!

I even steam cleaned the carpets, and upholstery, and scotch guarded everything. I spent probably $75.00 on just cleaning supplies!!!

It's been polished 5 times since 9/21/13 !!!

The engine compartment is immaculate. (I had NOTHING to do with it).

The back window brake light was burnt out, and that drove me crazy one night, and I found myself out there at 3:30 in the morning changing that out!!

{My wife says I'm obsessed. LOL}

It's just that the car is "my toy". It gets alot of compliments everywhere we go.

We went out to eat tonight, and 2 people told me it was a beautiful car. [The guy that use to own it told me that it would happen].

Anyhow at the end of the day, it's just "my car" !!!

Check out the pics and let me know what you think.
You have nothing to be ashamed of Tweety, I have been accused of being crazy by my Wife and Friends about the way I am with my Bird. You have one beautiful car and enjoy it
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Thanx !!! i do enjoy it.

Especially around the Mustang guys.

ALL of their cars look alike to me. OURS/MINE stand on their own !!!!

One of my buddies has a Mustang, and the other one a Corvette. My Mustang buddies girl friend, likes the Bird better, than the Mustang, for the overall ride, and look, not to mention the r-o-o-m !!!

My buddy with the Corvette, has already said that he would rather have the Bird !!

I tell both of them, "That T-Birds are out there, go and get ya one".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in