1-2 accumulator spring question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

1-2 accumulator spring question

1994 Supercoupe 4R70W w/ 3.73 rear gears. So the other day as I'm pulling away the car accelerates but doesn't want to shift into 2nd. Revs to over 3k, I let off gas, and then it shifts. This happens four times in a row and then I park it and drop the pan. The car does have some kind of shift kit or j-mod from the previous previous owner, but I don't have any details on it.

It still has the original 1-2 accumulator, and a broken purple spring on the bottom and no spring on top. I have the updated accumulator, and I still need to buy a new cover and spring.

So my question is: what spring, or springs, and where should I put it/them?

I was thinking of just doing an upper blue spring and no bottom, like would be done on a j-mod. Or should I just put the purple back where I found it (bottom)? Or all of the above?

I just bought the car and it was shifting great, 1-2 shifts nice and crisp, until the other day. I don't want the 1-2 shifts to be too harsh, they were fine before. But I also don't want to break another spring soon either.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:53 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenintiesc View Post
1994 Supercoupe 4R70W w/ 3.73 rear gears. So the other day as I'm pulling away the car accelerates but doesn't want to shift into 2nd. Revs to over 3k, I let off gas, and then it shifts. This happens four times in a row and then I park it and drop the pan. The car does have some kind of shift kit or j-mod from the previous previous owner, but I don't have any details on it.

It still has the original 1-2 accumulator, and a broken purple spring on the bottom and no spring on top. I have the updated accumulator, and I still need to buy a new cover and spring.

So my question is: what spring, or springs, and where should I put it/them?

I was thinking of just doing an upper blue spring and no bottom, like would be done on a j-mod. Or should I just put the purple back where I found it (bottom)? Or all of the above?

I just bought the car and it was shifting great, 1-2 shifts nice and crisp, until the other day. I don't want the 1-2 shifts to be too harsh, they were fine before. But I also don't want to break another spring soon either.

Any suggestions?
If a Jmod was done, the updated accumulators should have been in there already along with updated spring(s).

The crisp 1-2 shifts you had may have been from the broken spring. I'd go with the light blue spring upper spring and no bottom.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
If a Jmod was done, the updated accumulators should have been in there already along with updated spring(s).

The crisp 1-2 shifts you had may have been from the broken spring. I'd go with the light blue spring upper spring and no bottom.

Joe
Thanks! But I hope the broken spring is the cause of the late 1-2 shift too! It was jammed in the bore, so maybe even if it had been broken for awhile, it only just got jammed up and that caused the shifting issue... Going to order the blue spring today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:14 PM
PostWhore

Don't ask me colors but I used these when I did my JMod (mild):
1-2 Top Spring F75Z-7F284-AA
1-2 Bottom Spring F7AZ-7F284-BA

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 PM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

Sounds like a dead POS Roller Clutch to me - Springs won;t fix that.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
A broken bottom spring won't cause late shifts. If anything, it would cause early shifts because the accumulator will fill quicker without a spring to work against, but that would be a very slight difference that you probably wouldn't notice. Now if the accumulator itself was stuck in the bore, that could cause a late shift. I say replace the accumulator itself with the updated design, reinstall your top spring, and leave the bottom spring out, and test drive to see if the problem is fixed. If it is, then great. If not, then that means you likely have a failed roller clutch as Buck stated, and you'll have to go into the trans, but before doing all that, if a new accumulator can fix the problem, then it is worth trying.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:40 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96PRLBRD View Post
Don't ask me colors but I used these when I did my JMod (mild):
1-2 Top Spring F75Z-7F284-AA Light Blue
1-2 Bottom Spring F7AZ-7F284-BA Violet
Fixed, but it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between certain colors though.

Delete my account.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88grandmarq Send a message via Yahoo to 88grandmarq
agreed, Lt blue upper and Violet lower seem to work work the best. If you want a very firm shift, remove the lower spring.

From personal experience, a broken 1-2 lower spring will cause a no shift condition IF the broken springs turns sideways and wedges in the servo piston.

Been there, Done that.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I found this table on p71.net years ago; I searched this out, it may not last long.

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/tranny/.../tsb971111.pdf

That's from here:
http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/tranny/...rtnumbers.html

The brown spring on top (only) barks the 1-2 shift every time, lol.

Brown with pink is the way to go for firm shifts.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I found this table on p71.net years ago; I searched this out, it may not last long.

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/tranny/.../tsb971111.pdf

That's from here:
http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/tranny/...rtnumbers.html

The brown spring on top (only) barks the 1-2 shift every time, lol.

Brown with pink is the way to go for firm shifts.
Thanks, I actually stumbled on those two links while searching the forum. I also found references to just using a blue spring on top and none on bottom, so I ended up doing that. Shifts normally again!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 10:31 AM
1st Gear Poster

I thought that the upper spring was always supposed to be left in, regardless if the lower spring is removed or not.

Having it totally backwards like that with no upper spring and only the bottom spring....I thought that would cause a problem.

What about no accumulator springs at all? What would be the result? I would imagine it would be horrific.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine B. View Post
I thought that the upper spring was always supposed to be left in, regardless if the lower spring is removed or not.

Having it totally backwards like that with no upper spring and only the bottom spring....I thought that would cause a problem.
Not sure who that is directed toward, but like I mentioned in the last post just above yours, I did use a blue upper spring spring and no lower spring. It does shift hard on the 1-2, but not obnoxiously so.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenintiesc View Post
Not sure who that is directed toward, but like I mentioned in the last post just above yours, I did use a blue upper spring spring and no lower spring. It does shift hard on the 1-2, but not obnoxiously so.
The original poster mentioned that his 1-2 accumulator had NO upper spring, but had a broken lower spring.

I do see that some early 90s cars came with no upper spring from the factory. But I believe that changed by 1994 and they always came with a upper and a lower.

I was also speaking in terms of JMOD - it was always directed to remove the lower spring ONLY and NEVER remove the top spring. Or leave all of the springs in.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine B. View Post
The original poster mentioned that his 1-2 accumulator had NO upper spring, but had a broken lower spring.

I do see that some early 90s cars came with no upper spring from the factory. But I believe that changed by 1994 and they always came with a upper and a lower.

I was also speaking in terms of JMOD - it was always directed to remove the lower spring ONLY and NEVER remove the top spring. Or leave all of the springs in.
Yes, that's true when I opened it up there was no upper spring, just a broken lower. Also, it had the newer style accumulator piston already. I have no idea what was done to the trans before I bought the car this past March (I'm the 3rd owner). I know there were some issues with this trans for this year so something could have been taken care of under warranty early on by the original owner... But the guy I purchased it from said the trans shifted fine (with only the lower spring in there). Although maybe that is why it ended up breaking then? Since there was no upper? IDK...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Poster

Since yours is a 94 it may have come that way from the factory. I am not sure when the cut-off was. I was reading something about it yesterday and it kind of blew my mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in