4r70w question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
4r70w question

My 1997 Ford F-150 4.6 2wd has 180,000miles on it. At around 120,000miles the transmission was replaced with a new case and rebuilt using the monster in a box ss kit installed by a very reputable shop. It's long since out of warranty but I've been noticing a few hiccups with it lately. 1-2 is firm and it always has been no concerns there. 2-3 has always been fairly light, which I've always thought could be more aggressive, currently it has started holding 2nd until you let off the throttle which concerns me, 3-4 has always felt like a factory shift but now I can clearly feel it do the same thing as 2nd, it holds 3rd until you let off the throttle, I can feel the converter lock, and then it will unlock and shift to 4th and lock up again.

So to sum it up with 2/3rds throttle or wide open I get the following shifts:
1-2 firm
2-3 soft/factory and holds 2nd until I let off the throttle
3-4 firm/normal and holds 3rd until I let off the throttle
Lock/Unlock very noticeable in 3rd and 4th

I was thinking about changing the TPS and MLPS, dropping the pan, dropping the valve body, and installing a composite or factory 2-3 bonded piston with no springs, swapping the OD servo to the larger unit without the sleve and installing the sonnex OD servo pin with o-ring. Also changing the main pressure regulator valve to the sonnex one and the boost valve as well and of course fresh mercon v and a new internal filter. All of those are fairly common upgrades and maintenance.

I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas what is causing these new drawn out shifts. This rig tows my bird occasionally so I can't afford to be letting off the throttle with a trailer on a hill. I worry about damaging it.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 06:41 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Datalog it, and see what the tps is saying; I'd throw a set of gauges on the ports, to see what the pressure is really doing at the same time.

You need 200psi gauges, iirc.

There could be a problem with the tps, thinking it's higher than it is; iirc, it won't shift till you let off, thinking it's near wot...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in