How to Repin - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

So I picked up a 2000 transmission from another club member (thanks!) from a 2000 Mustang. In order to install it on my 96 I'd have to repin the harness.

Not being very knowledgeable of such things I presume I'd have to actually drop the existing transmission from the car to get to the harness on the car itself and repin it. If so, that would mean I'd also have to have the car towed to local shop for them to install the new transmission once I get the repin done.

This assume I am capable of removing a transmission in my garage by myself.

......so yeah just wanting somebody to confirm this is indeed what I would need to do???

Thought a little more on this......couldn't I buy a harness online and modify it? Then bring the transmission and harness to a shop and have them do the install. It would all be plug-n-play from their perspective then correct?

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-07-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Merge posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You could also drive it to the shop, have them give you the harness after they drop the trans, repin it on sight and hand it back to them. Doesn't take anymore than a glasses screwdriver to repin the connector.

If you buy the harness online just make sure it's from a 96 or 97 (V6 or V8 doesn't matter)

-Matt
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
You could also drive it to the shop, have them give you the harness after they drop the trans, repin it on sight and hand it back to them. Doesn't take anymore than a glasses screwdriver to repin the connector.

If you buy the harness online just make sure it's from a 96 or 97 (V6 or V8 doesn't matter)
Excellent! I was told the stock torque converter should work, but if I'm swapping out transmission it probably makes sense to get new TC too.

Looking at RockAuto the stock TC has a 11.375 bolt pattern while a 2000 Mustang has 10.625. All of the other specs between the two TC's are identical.

Should I stick with stock sized TC for TBird, or get the TC for 2000 Mustang that matches transmission I'm putting in? Both have "mid stall" listed for stall speed so I don't know if I'd be gaining anything by putting in Mustang TC....and if I need to do anything else to get the transmission to fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to BRONCONUT
What did you give for that tranny? I might be looking to get one here soon because mine slips and hesitates bad during take off, forward or reverse.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Excellent! I was told the stock torque converter should work, but if I'm swapping out transmission it probably makes sense to get new TC too.

Looking at RockAuto the stock TC has a 11.375 bolt pattern while a 2000 Mustang has 10.625. All of the other specs between the two TC's are identical.

Should I stick with stock sized TC for TBird, or get the TC for 2000 Mustang that matches transmission I'm putting in? Both have "mid stall" listed for stall speed so I don't know if I'd be gaining anything by putting in Mustang TC....and if I need to do anything else to get the transmission to fit?
Flex plate too from a mark VIII if I recall correctly. However I could be mistaken.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
Flex plate too from a mark VIII if I recall correctly. However I could be mistaken.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm asking. From what I've read the transmission itself does not car about bolt pattern or anything. The torque converter has specific bolt pattern that needs to match up with flexplate. I "believe" that if I stick with stock torque converter I don't need new flexplate.

It's only if I want to upgrade torque converter to match the one that came with 2000 Mustang this transmission came from I'd need to also swap out the flexplate correct?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:40 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
It's only if I want to upgrade torque converter to match the one that came with 2000 Mustang this transmission came from I'd need to also swap out the flexplate correct?
You want a new TC so you want the 11INCH TC... you REALLY do... & good find on the Tranny.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in