Did a bunch of upgrades at once, need guidance - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Did a bunch of upgrades at once, need guidance

So I basically did everything in my signature all at once, recently. Many of the parts were gathered 8 years ago, and just sat. I had a friend do the transmission rebuild using the kit purchased from Darrin. He didn't disassemble the valve body just installed it. Also, couldn't get the trans fluid out of the TC, so just installed it hoping it is all good.

I have no O/D. 1,2,3rd seem fine. from my research I'm thinking maybe a solenoid is stuck in the valve body? or maybe the Maurader T/C I picked up is seized up?

Thoughts?

Also, I feel a LOT of backlash when I take my foot off the gas pedal. Especially slowing down to a stop. Doesn't like to coast... sorry having problem trying to describe it.

probably have about 120Miles on the new rebuild, fresh Mercon V except for what was in the T/C.

Also, not sure if there is also that needs to be done from the SCT/Xcal2 program I had done.

Thanks in Advance, any help or suggestions would be great. No OBDII codes being thrown. I'd hate to take it in to the shop, if something simple.

-Nick

Xcal2-tuned by Lonnie* Jmod kit by Darrin/Alan* '04 Marauder T/C*2002 GT MAF/airbox/intake tube* '04 explorer PI 4.6L/P&P by steenracing* Comp Cams - XE262AH* Accufab Plenum/ 75mm Throttle Body* 30lbs. injectors* 190lph fuel pump* 180* T-stat* Motorcraft 22C's* Steeda U/D pullies* JBA Ceramic Coated Headers* Aluminum Driveshaft* FRPP Aluminum pumpkin 3.73*

not installed yet:Suspension stuff: JL rstb/lower engine cradel brace/subframe connectors* KB FSTB* MN12Performance solid engine mounts/trans mount/poly crossmount bushings/IRS Diff bushings/Rear Cover Brace*RE6 Slam Specialites bags in the rear* Viair 400C compressor* 5gal Firestone tank* (8)Parker 1/2"valves* Dakota Digital Guage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 02:25 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Did you get the valve body from Darrin? I picked one up from him a few years back and had the same issue with no overdrive.I gave up trying to figure it out and put my own back in.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Also, I feel a LOT of backlash when I take my foot off the gas pedal. Especially slowing down to a stop. Doesn't like to coast... sorry having problem trying to describe it.

Also, not sure if there is also that needs to be done from the SCT/Xcal2 program I had done.
The converter is staying locked at closed throttle in the tune (among other things which contribute to the roughness). It's done primarily for fuel economy but will cause a painful bucking back and forth as you get on/let off the throttle due to "slop" in the drivetrain.

It can be turned off completely as it would be in a stock program, or it can be tuned out (my car is a working example) but the tuner will need to spend some time to work out the program - translates to $$$. If you decide to get any revisions to the tune done, I say talk to Don LaSota - there are documented issues with BOC's tunes (and service) from the last 5-8 years.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I drilled my own valve body to specs and I had the same issue a couple years back. I took it to a tranny shop and IIRC they said I messed it up so they installed a new one with the correct specs... Can't remember exaclty but I'm pretty sure that was the problem.

Brandon's right on the tune. Mine does the same thing (also from Lonnie). If your very gentle with it and try not to let off right after it shifts you'll get a pretty smooth ride with a little practice. Anyone else drives my car and it makes a very rough drive.. Lol

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I talked with Don LaSota, and he didn't think the converter staying locked at closed throttle could be tuned out.

Xcal2-tuned by Lonnie* Jmod kit by Darrin/Alan* '04 Marauder T/C*2002 GT MAF/airbox/intake tube* '04 explorer PI 4.6L/P&P by steenracing* Comp Cams - XE262AH* Accufab Plenum/ 75mm Throttle Body* 30lbs. injectors* 190lph fuel pump* 180* T-stat* Motorcraft 22C's* Steeda U/D pullies* JBA Ceramic Coated Headers* Aluminum Driveshaft* FRPP Aluminum pumpkin 3.73*

not installed yet:Suspension stuff: JL rstb/lower engine cradel brace/subframe connectors* KB FSTB* MN12Performance solid engine mounts/trans mount/poly crossmount bushings/IRS Diff bushings/Rear Cover Brace*RE6 Slam Specialites bags in the rear* Viair 400C compressor* 5gal Firestone tank* (8)Parker 1/2"valves* Dakota Digital Guage
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quick Update, Good news! I took it in to my local transmission shop, and they dropped the valvebody and noticed the Overdrive band was not indexed. They re-indexed it and seems to have 4th gear, and also the t/c lockup seems to be less. It's still there, just not less obnoxious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in