4R70W not shifting into 3rd or OD - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

4R70W not shifting into 3rd or OD

Okay, save me some trouble of searching.

1994 4r70w, upgrade to 2000+ valve body, j-modded with 2800 stall converter. Took it for a spin last week, entered the ramp to the interstate and let her rip through 1st and 2nd., about that time I had to let off the throttle and let it ease into 3rd, reapplied the throttle to just cruise and no 3rd, revving like it was in neutral. Luckily I was able to coast to the 1st exit which is my exit, when I slowed down to turn off of the off ramp I was going slow enough for it to kick down into 2nd so I limped back to my house. I let it sit until today so I pulled it out of the garage and let it warm up to check the tranny fluid level and was a little low. Topped it off and took it for a spin around the neighborhood and no 3rd or OD, meaning gear selector in drive and tranny still in 2nd, not free revving like it did on the interstate. Any ideas on what possibly be the issue? I'm hoping it's a simple and inexpensive one but I'm not banking on it.

94 SC AUTO - $$$$ Pit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
Being its a 94 just from the age of it I'm betting the metal sealing rings on outputshaft (were they seal against case) are toast which will take out 3rd and 4th gear I'd almost be willing to bet on it, I've seen this a few times may have feted the direct clutches regardless it will need a tear down, and a new sealing rings and most likely direct clutches, that would be simplest fix, atleast u had a newer valvebody helps the the 94-95 live much longer that's for sure

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 11:58 PM
4th Gear Poster

IDK about 3rd gear, but I lost OD once when I replaced the OD servo the wrong way.

Did you by any chance remove/replace the overdrive servo?

When installing the OD servo, the pin has to make proper contact with the OD band (there's a "notch" in the OD band).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:22 AM

I'm having the exact same issue with my '97 Thunderbird LX. The transmission was shifting very well except for a hard 1-2 shift which I attribute to the 1-2 accumulator piston (I hadn't upgraded it). There was never any slippage or shudder. It shifted very firmly and never gave any indication that it was about to go. Then, one day, it just wouldn't go out of 2nd gear. It would shift from 1 to 2, but would not come out of 2nd. And with OD on, it would shift to neutral after I let off the gas. But when the OD is off, it will stay in 2nd. I have heard that it could be the PCM causing the problem. Or it could be the 1-2/2-3 shift accumulator piston(s). I can't afford a new (or used) transmission. Nor can I afford to have this one rebuilt. I'm hoping for a simple solution. I have ordered the 1-2/2-3 accumulator upgrade and plan to install it this weekend. Hopefully, with a change of fluid and filter, that'll fix it.

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 07-09-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in