97 LSC Trans questions/problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Question 97 LSC Trans questions/problems

I picked up a 97 LSC a few months back for a DD. Silver on Black, true dual upgrade with x pipe and SS mufflers, posi unit and stereo. Im happy with it as a highway cruiser seeing 60miles a day. There are however a few issues.

1. As of 80-82mph, I am locked out of 3rd gear. I mean I can ease up to 80mph with OD turned off at the shifer, OD OFF light works, but as I hit 80mph, the car shifts and turns off my control of OD. It WILL smack OD at WOT. I have to slow down below 80mph before I regain control of OD. A nuisance more than anything really. I don't believe under WOT it should shift to OD nor lock me out of 3rd. Any thoughts?

2. Are the 4R70ws in the LSCs tuned differently on how they react? This transmission doesnt react to WOT downshifts and will lock down in OD at 33mph and stay there until I manually move it or go low enough for it to downshift itself.

3rd and least important... these spring coversion kits, smh. I believe it was a 'suncoast' kit. Are they all crap or does this one especially suck? I enjoy bounding in a water bed, not my car on the highway.

94 Opal LX - 4v, cobra intake, remote3650, 3.73s, Detroit Trutrac. Duals and xpipe.
I need to tune this beast...
The LSC is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Most of the spring conversion kits are pretty soft. They are all meant to keep a beater on the road for cheap, and not for performance handling. My advice for that would be to use all T-bird stuff for the conversion. The whole front shock and spring assembly from a tbird will bolt right in, and then for the rear you need something to prevent the spring from moving off the perch. On a buddy's car, I used a few hockey pucks with a hole drilled in the center and then bolted it up to the flat perch on the car and through the hole in the LCA where air spring clipped in. This will let you use any tbird springs you want, either factory or aftermarket.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Any body?

Also will upshift half way through the rpm range at W0T.

94 Opal LX - 4v, cobra intake, remote3650, 3.73s, Detroit Trutrac. Duals and xpipe.
The LSC is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I can say that none of the transmission shifting things your reporting are special 97 Mark VIII LSC programming.

To me it sounds like it isn't getting proper input from things like the TPS or the OSS.

I had a really poorly shifting transmission when I bought my 97 Mark VIII, but not like anything you mention.

Issue 1, locked out of D at 80 mph, what does it do instead? OD, second, engine revs freely?

Upshifting at WOT, all gears?

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Luxky u. My 94 tbird tranny only locks od at 39-40. I can ride 36 all day itll never kick in unless its cold thrn at 30 it drops in od. Maybe somethings broke

My Mods:
Spectre Custom Air Filter, greasable sway bar brackets - front/rear, custom shifter, plastic dip wheels/center caps original, port/polished throttle body(by me).

Future Mods:
3.73 Gears, 4.6 to 5.0 stroker kit. Supercharger, 100HP NOS shot, Built 4r70w (jmod 450+HP) Trac lok with HD clutches. Fold/split rear seat.

*recover all the leather, freshen it up and clean it.
*paint the whole interior black - 20%
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

As long as the transmission has all functions where everything works, nothing slips and there are no unusual noises then the transmission itself is fine.

Sensor, tune or computer issue. It almost sounds like someone put a special tune in it for best mpg.

D

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post

Issue 1, locked out of D at 80 mph, what does it do instead? OD, second, engine revs freely?

Upshifting at WOT, all gears?
scenario.
Driving at 65mph, I click the OD button which turns off OD and downshifts the car to 3rd gear. I accelerate, 70, 75, 80mph and just after I pass 80mph, the car upshifts to OD and the dash light goes out. Above 80mph, the OD button does not work.

The trans in my 94LX, if I WOT at 25mph it will jump to 1st gear and take off. This mark just continues to pull in the current gear.

Firmness of shifts, although I like it, are quite firm into every gear. When I purchased the car It had exhaust from downtubes back and a posi unit. It would not suprise me if there was some kind of oddball tune on it.

The LSC is gone.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ah, you didn't say earlier that you thought it maybe had a different rear end in it. Which is what it sounds like you are saying in your last post. I'm betting it has gears and no tune. That would explain it perfectly.

D

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Ah, you didn't say earlier that you thought it maybe had a different rear end in it. Which is what it sounds like you are saying in your last post. I'm betting it has gears and no tune. That would explain it perfectly.

D
That wouldn't explain it turning off OD by itself. I had 3.73s in my 98 MarkVIII with no tune, and if I turned off OD, it would stay off until I hit the 125mph speed limiter.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:

D
and the LSC came with 3.27s from the factory, speed vs rpm checks confirm that its stock gearing.

The LSC is gone.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
That wouldn't explain it turning off OD by itself. I had 3.73s in my 98 MarkVIII with no tune, and if I turned off OD, it would stay off until I hit the 125mph speed limiter.
The 98 is a different animal electronically.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the problem, but it actually could explain all of what you described earlier as the computer thinks the car going a lot faster than it actually is based on the input from the OSS which will be turning. The speedometer may have been corrected with a speedo gear but that won't correct the other. The OD cancel button has a speed limited override that's going to change with the rest of the shift schedule because of the gears.

What's the computer code? RKK3 maybe? What size tires are on it?

D

Last edited by Darrin; 02-19-2015 at 12:30 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by getblown View Post
and the LSC came with 3.27s from the factory, speed vs rpm checks confirm that its stock gearing.
Didn't see that the gearing was checked to be the same as stock.

Based on the facts that the car shifts early and OD cancel is being overridden it really sounds like the computer thinks the car is going faster than it is.

D

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Didn't see that the gearing was checked to be the same as stock.

Based on the facts that the car shifts early and OD cancel is being overridden it really sounds like the computer thinks the car is going faster than it is.

D
Thanks Darrin. I appreciate the thought process from a different angle.

The LSC is gone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in