No forward gears - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

No forward gears

Hello,

I picked up a 97 Mark VIII as a parts car for a AC Cobra kit car that I am building. The owner stated that he lost forward gears and said transmission was junk. So I picked the car up for a few hundred.

I got the car home and checked for codes. I cannot remember the exact code but it referenced the transmission range sensor/switch low circuit. I decided to purchase a new MLPS but this did not help.

When the car is started, you have reverse as normal but 1-2-D is nothing. No engagement at all. I am looking at possibly rebuilding this or picking up another transmission. Any possibility that I could be dealing with an SS1 or SS2 problem? I would hate to rebuild a transmission if it could be an electrical problem. The previous owner stated that this was the second transmission but I did not find out what year it came from. Not sure if this would matter any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Nope. Needs a new or rebuild. My car was the same way. Everything electrical tested good. There are several ways to check what year transmission you have. There is a tag that is on the drive I believe that will tell you. Also if you have a black plug instead of white for the transmission connector its 98+. Also at the top of the case right before the bellhousing it should give the build year and a batch code (batch coffee doesn't matter)

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134659&page=4

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise. I was hoping it would be electrical. What white/black plug are you referring to? If I were to find a used setup, a 98 would be the best what to get, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

It's on the passenger side of the pan, towards the back.

2002 (2003 model year is half and half it seems) is the best year to get without running into problems.

Make sure the tailshaft has splines on it for the speedometer gear, and check the VSS sensor hole to make sure it's got 6 holes in it when you spin it all the way around. (you'll need a tune or a purple speedometer gear. If you change the gear, you're limited to 3.27s if you use a FRPP speedometer gears)

The splines NEED to be on the tailshaft or you'll have to swap yours. (Not recommended. It's the first thing in the transmission case, last piece out)

The second thing is the VSS needs to have 6 holes inside when you pull the sensor and spin the tailshaft. If it doesn't, it's not the end of the world, you'll just need a tune.

The last thing is repinning the transmission harness, which takes about 15 minutes even for a first timer. Look at schematic 1, compare it to schematic 2, make the changes necessary.

I just did this swap recently. But there are people with way more knowledge then me.

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134659&page=4

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If you've got no manual 1, manual 2 or auto 1, your forward clutch is shot. If you're in the market for a core trans to either rebuild or replace the one you have with, start with a 99 at the oldest, something 2001-2003 is preferred.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the help. At some point, I will pull all of this out of the car and mount to the frame of the ac cobra. I will need to repin and will probably look here for the info. I saw the information on rebuild for bulletproof transmission. I might entertain that as well. A few years back, I owned a 98 mark viii and performed a j-mod. Really like the way it responded. I will probably start off with that and go from there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in