Tranny Issues Please Help! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Tranny Issues Please Help!

Good Day Everyone,

I am having some serious issue with my 4r70w transmission and im hoping some of you all can shed some light on the subject.

The incident: Immediately after driving at WOT I came to a stop, as i began to take off again, I hit the gas as usual but only this time the car does not move. But oddly when i raised the rpm up to about 3500 the transmission slammed into gear spinning the tires.

It appeared to me as if it were slipping but only at low rpm. I have full and normal operation of reverse but in order to move forward i have to rev the engine continually.

Because I am a needy college student i decided to attempt a rebuild my self. I took the transmission apart and inspected everything to the best of my ability and noticed only the forward clutches were toasted. So I changed all clutches and seal and what not and re installed. I havent gotten the chance to put it on the road but from what i can tell, its still doing the same thing. And the reason I say that is because it takes forever for it to actually go into drive from the time i move the shifter.

Anybody with any knowledge on the subject matter please feel free to enlighten me. Ive been 2 months with out my car.

Thanks ,

Vechicle info:
1995 4.6 tbird
97 crown vic tranny
300 hp + gears jmod
and new accumulators and springs

1995 Tbird 4.6 sohc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear Poster

does it still have reverse? Have you checked the fluid level after letting the car run for a few minutes?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangBangers View Post
does it still have reverse? Have you checked the fluid level after letting the car run for a few minutes?
Yes, it goes right into reverse with no issue and the fluid is up to level.

1995 Tbird 4.6 sohc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 09:32 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamler View Post
Yes, it goes right into reverse with no issue and the fluid is up to level.
well that sucks. i know very little about transmissions. probably only enough to get me into more trouble. you sound like you already have more experience than I do with the work you've done. All I've done is a JMOD. maybe a solenoid is bad? When I had mine opened I replaced the pressure control solenoid since it had wear marks on the collar. Not sure if there is an easy way to test them though.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Same thing happened to me after my JMod. You'll need a different tranny.

Possible issues:
Forward hub failure
Burnt clutches
Broken snap ring groove
Clutch splines stripped out
Stripped clutch hub

There is several ways you can test for these, but it's not worth it because once one thing fails, it just kind of works its way around and destroys everything.

If you really wanted to check, all I know is that if you wait until its cooled down, preferably in cold weather and try to move it forward then it's the likely clutches.

Just look around for deals. I spend 400 on a transmission with 33k miles out of a Grand Marquis and it shifts great.

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134659&page=4

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperThunderbirdLX View Post
Same thing happened to me after my JMod. You'll need a different tranny.

Possible issues:
Forward hub failure
Burnt clutches
Broken snap ring groove
Clutch splines stripped out
Stripped clutch hub

There is several ways you can test for these, but it's not worth it because once one thing fails, it just kind of works its way around and destroys everything.

If you really wanted to check, all I know is that if you wait until its cooled down, preferably in cold weather and try to move it forward then it's the likely clutches.

Just look around for deals. I spend 400 on a transmission with 33k miles out of a Grand Marquis and it shifts great.
Thanks for you advice, but like i mentioned earlier, i rebuilt the tranny, and the only thing i noticed was burnt foward clutches and burnt od band. And both were replaced.

However, i drove the car yesterday and it seems as if the pressure is not keeping up. I have to rev a couple of time to get it going in drive but when i come of the pedal, it seems like the pressure drops again and i have to rev it more.

I even got it to change gears form first to second, but it does the same thing. Btw, the gear change was slow and drawn out, witch makes me think line pressure is not keeping up BUT ONLY in the foward gears. Reverse is perfect.

Do you know what components in the valve body may cause this?

1995 Tbird 4.6 sohc
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamler View Post
Thanks for you advice, but like i mentioned earlier, i rebuilt the tranny, and the only thing i noticed was burnt foward clutches and burnt od band. And both were replaced.

However, i drove the car yesterday and it seems as if the pressure is not keeping up. I have to rev a couple of time to get it going in drive but when i come of the pedal, it seems like the pressure drops again and i have to rev it more.

I even got it to change gears form first to second, but it does the same thing. Btw, the gear change was slow and drawn out, witch makes me think line pressure is not keeping up BUT ONLY in the foward gears. Reverse is perfect.

Do you know what components in the valve body may cause this?
Maybe the separator plate is having some form of cross talk and losing pressure? did you torque all of the reinforcing plate down and that one extra? I know when I did mine I over-torqued one and snapped the head but not enough to separate the head. I replaced all of the bolts with new ones.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

So i pulled the tranny again and disassembled it to find that the forward clutch piston seal was ruined. I missed this on the first rebuild. But niw everything works perfect. Thanks all for your input.

1995 Tbird 4.6 sohc
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 03:10 PM
3rd Gear Poster

glad to hear you got it straightened out. stay safe out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in