Weird "problem" withdownshift - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Weird "problem" withdownshift

1996 4.6L with a reman tranny. This happened with the original tranny too, so I gather it is just with this car. When I am slowing down and get to about 32 mph the car downshifts HARD. It's a jolt. Seems like it's the 3-2 downshift. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to stop it from happening or is it just a quirk that my car has?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Poster

Possibly a broken accumulator spring?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I kind of doubt it. It was the same way on the original transmission. Just wondering if anyone has any theories that don't involve a busted tranny. But I can see why you would say that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:04 PM
PostWhore

Since the problem occurs with two completely different trans, and the transmission is electronic, I suspect input signals from various sensors/pcm that tell the transmission when to shift. Possibly faulty wiring, bad connection(s).

Throttle plate closed, a 32 mile per hour 3-2 downshift seems a bit high. Check the vehicle speed sensor, throttle position sensor, and mpls. Again, check for faulty wiring, and connections.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Poster

One of the family cars when I was a child was a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix with a rebuilt transmission. When slowing down and coming to a stop, the transmission would jerk. Not just once. It would do it the entire time that you were slowing down.

Thinking back, it seems as if the torque converter kept locking and unlocking. Just thought of this.

Who knows what was really going on.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:29 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnknots View Post
1996 4.6L with a reman tranny. This happened with the original tranny too, so I gather it is just with this car. When I am slowing down and get to about 32 mph the car downshifts HARD. It's a jolt. Seems like it's the 3-2 downshift. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to stop it from happening or is it just a quirk that my car has?
Both my 96 Tbird and 93 Mark VIII downshift at that speed. To me it doesn't seem violent or anything, but I do notice at that exact speed on decel and very light accel either the transmission shifts or the torque converter locks/unlocks. Occasionally with a clunk. In both cars BTW.

I'm not sure if it's a characteristic of the tranny, or maybe it's a normal condition that is being exaggerated by worn transmission or motor mounts.

Otherwise, both trannys worked quite well.

I would check the tranny and motor mounts for good measure.

Last edited by 96beaterbird; 02-18-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Do you have a tune in that car?

D

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in