Need some advice - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Need some advice

I have a '98 F150 I need to sell. It has a 4.6L and is 4WD.

The 4R70W transmission in it...is rough.

At first it would fail to shift 2-3 when cold, but as it warmed up it would go away. I figured it would be something bad in the valve body and would be an easy fix.

But then one day, it did a neutral drop out of second instead of just failing to shift.

I also wonder if it is slipping all the time as the truck only gets 14-15mpg max. (EDIT: I looked it up and apparently this looks like average MPG for this truck)

If a valve body problem could cause these symptoms I would be very fortunate.

The truck has been sitting for a long time, so I need to change all fluids. But if this trans is a lost cause, I don't want to burn the $100+ on a fluid change if I should put it towards a new transmission instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
How many miles on it? How old is the trans fluid in it? If it's original then yea, replace the trans.

I'd still do the trans fluid change and change the trans filter.

I'd be interested to see what others think ...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Well the truck has just over 150K miles on it, but I presume the transmission to have less than that since the previous owner said he had the transmission replaced at one point, but that really can't be verified.

The truck has been sitting for around a year now. I think the transmission fluid is about 4 years old, but it really wasn't driven that much because I was mostly driving my car.

Changed the oil today, going to empty the fuel tank and put some fresh fuel in tomorrow and start driving it a bit and see how it runs and shifts.

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:07 PM

spill and fill and a filter is a long shot at saving it but its cheap to try and might help more than expected

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in