tranny mount and TC questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

tranny mount and TC questions

Due to an accident, I'm having to swap all the go-fast parts from the cougar in my sig to a nice t-bird I found.

1. The solid tranny mount needs to be replaced. I see SCP has one for $40 and Rockauto has a couple of solid ones for less than $20. Is the SCP one worth twice the money?

2. The car is my weekend hot rod since I use a Focus as my commuter car. So, the Mark VIII TC doesn't have many miles on it since the explorer swap, but while I have it all out;
Would you swap it out and with what? Also, would the different one need a change to the tune I have?

Thank you for you advice,

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 04:11 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post
Due to an accident, I'm having to swap all the go-fast parts from the cougar in my sig to a nice t-bird I found.

1. The solid tranny mount needs to be replaced. I see SCP has one for $40 and Rockauto has a couple of solid ones for less than $20. Is the SCP one worth twice the money?

2. The car is my weekend hot rod since I use a Focus as my commuter car. So, the Mark VIII TC doesn't have many miles on it since the explorer swap, but while I have it all out;
Would you swap it out and with what? Also, would the different one need a change to the tune I have?

Thank you for you advice,
Sorry to hear about your Cougar..

Just buy the Transmission Mount from RockAuto..The SCP piece is the same thing except more expensive..

A converter with a billet front plate would be a good expensive upgrade..

I'll let the others comment on what torque converter to use..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks, nobody was hurt. My oldest son let it get out from under him and he ended up sideways in a ditch. The entire driver's side is pushed in a few inches from the tires up to the roof line the entire length of the car.

It still starts and moves, but the tires on the bad side both point inward. The only piece of glass that broke was the Windshield as it buckled and broke right in front of the driver.

I found a 94 t-bird to get the donated parts from the cougar.

Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
If you are in the market for a good quality billet cover torque converter with a great warranty call Chris at Circle D in Texas. He makes a great product, higher stall will be recommended for a retune, in which case I'd recommend Don LaSota from LaSota Racing. Neither of these are cheap but they completely change the attitude of the car. As far as mounts go there's nothing wrong with the units from RockAuto they are identical to the ones sold at SCP, Bill at SCP charges more because he is essentially a FN10/MN12 Specialty shop. There is also a poly upgrade unit from energy suspension for the 4r70w that many have adapted to work with the MN12/FN10 cross members easily, however I have no experience with that I use a solid rubber unit from rockauto on my 13 second DOHC swap bird without issues.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 08:12 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I am in the process of switching all my goodies from one cougar to anouther. It's twice as much work than when I installed the parts. In five months I only got the suspension apart.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks for the tips. If the TC requires a re-tune, then I'm gonna stick with what I have.

I have the original xcal1 and don't wanna mess with mailing it in and stuff. To be honest, I wouldn't be rebuilding a t-bird if ALL the dang parts in the Cougar weren't new and the way the car was damaged was just weird the way it preserved all the drive train.

It's not that I don't like the MN12, but parts are just getting harder and harder to find. I was gonna move on to a mustang or something else, but I just had the diff rebuilt with 3.73s by one of the members here and that would go to waste or I'd lose my shirt on the resale.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
If you are in the market for a good quality billet cover torque converter with a great warranty call Chris at Circle D in Texas. He makes a great product, higher stall will be recommended for a retune, in which case I'd recommend Don LaSota from LaSota Racing. Neither of these are cheap but they completely change the attitude of the car. As far as mounts go there's nothing wrong with the units from RockAuto they are identical to the ones sold at SCP, Bill at SCP charges more because he is essentially a FN10/MN12 Specialty shop. There is also a poly upgrade unit from energy suspension for the 4r70w that many have adapted to work with the MN12/FN10 cross members easily, however I have no experience with that I use a solid rubber unit from rockauto on my 13 second DOHC swap bird without issues.
Just for giggles, how much would this TC and re-tune cost?
Is the xcal1 still even supported?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Check the websites but I'm guessing $900 for TC and $400-500 for tune, you will have to buy an xcal 2 or 3. I might be high on the prices. I think your severally limiting yourself if you cheap out on the tune and TC. I'm still kicking myself for installing the mark 8 converter the first time.

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Ok, you've got my attention.

Chris, you said, " completely change the attitude of the car." can you guys try to elaborate/describe it?

Last edited by girdnerg; 05-24-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in