95 AODE Rebuild Fails Air Checks - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

95 AODE Rebuild Fails Air Checks

Hello all, so I'm rebuilding my 95' Mustang GT's AODE to 98+ 4R70W specs, printed off the articles from this site, got my Transmission Bench 7 part video, ATSG book and update book and the workbench AOD book by my side and I get started.

Did all new bushings and torringtons, Alto reds, carbon OD band and new OEM reverse band. New reverse drum and shell with mechanical diode. 4R70W planetary and sun and stub shaft. Everything was going awesome right up until air checking forward and reverse with the front pump.

40-45psi on compressor, lots of Transjel on everything, I have the Sonnax sure cure solid teflons on the forward drum part of the stator as per the directions, new steel rings for reverse, and new solid teflons on the input shaft. Fails air checks reverse and forward, seems to leak right past all the rings, steels and teflons. Pistons don't appear to leak, poured ATF in there and rolled around while air checking and pistons do apply just fine, no sign of leaking from apply piston seals, but it is just leaking straight up the stator support and the input shaft.

Now, the teflons on the stator were pain in butt, expected that. I finally got them seated and decided to let them sit for hours to compress and make final install easier. Nope, it only rolled them and ruined them and then I had to use my OEM steel rings for forward that were in my rebuild kit.

To make matters worse, I decided to check intermediate endplay both with H gauge method and by putting on front pump and making sure input shaft spins freely and checked endplay with pump on by pulling input shaft forward. I put 100 inch lbs on the front pump bolts and one of them ripped the threads right out of the case! It was while using a thinner thrust washer took, so I ripped quite a lot of threads out, so now I am fixing that now with heli coil while hoping someone has some guidance for me.

I am not sure if the 40-45psi is too much or too little to check with, all books and videos seem to say it is the correct psi. All books and videos say there can be a "slight" air leak while air checking as long as apply pistons function and no leaks from piston seals. This is subjective and I'm first timer, so perhaps someone can tell me just about how much air leak is considered slight and how much is too much. The videos I seen there is no leak whatsoever and the piston will rise and fall in perfect timing with squeezing the air gun, so you could probably hold the air pressure and the piston will stay up for as long as you hold it. Mine will leak air out of the input and stator support until all the air pressure in my compressor leaks out and the piston then falls.

I thank you in advance for any help! I'm so close to completion yet so far.

Don't hate on me please just because I don't have a Tbird or Cougar. I love them just as much as any other Fords! I got a good deal on the 95' GT but was in market for another XR-7 because I regret selling my 88'

I love this forum and have used it extensively for any mods done to AOD's and 4R70W family.

95 Mustang GT GT40X heads XE264HR Explorer Intake. AODE, PI 3500 stall. 4.10 Gears. Coil over front.

Previously owned:
1988 LX 5.0 Sold
1988 Cougar XR-7 5.0 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:16 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88grandmarq Send a message via Yahoo to 88grandmarq
where are you applying the compressed air and how?

are you using a air test plate that bolts on in place of the valve body?

Normally when I do air checks, as long as the clutch pistons and servos apply it passes.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88grandmarq View Post
where are you applying the compressed air and how?

are you using a air test plate that bolts on in place of the valve body?

Normally when I do air checks, as long as the clutch pistons and servos apply it passes.
Thanks for the reply! I tested by placing reverse drum over forward drum and putting both on top of the front pump stator support and air testing the two holes on the front pump, the one for reverse and the one for the forward, I do not have a test plate that you speak of. I'm using air compressor set at about 40psi with an air gun rubber tip nozzle.

I can see reverse and forward apply and the pistons works fine, so from what you are stating this would be considered a pass? If so that is great then and I'm just super paranoid!

Don't hate on me please just because I don't have a Tbird or Cougar. I love them just as much as any other Fords! I got a good deal on the 95' GT but was in market for another XR-7 because I regret selling my 88'

I love this forum and have used it extensively for any mods done to AOD's and 4R70W family.

95 Mustang GT GT40X heads XE264HR Explorer Intake. AODE, PI 3500 stall. 4.10 Gears. Coil over front.

Previously owned:
1988 LX 5.0 Sold

Last edited by TheRoadWarrior; 07-04-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:56 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88grandmarq Send a message via Yahoo to 88grandmarq
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
Thanks for the reply! I tested by placing reverse drum over forward drum and putting both on top of the front pump stator support and air testing the two holes on the front pump, the one for reverse and the one for the forward, I do not have a test plate that you speak of. I'm using air compressor set at about 40psi with an air gun rubber tip nozzle.

I can see reverse and forward apply and the pistons works fine, so from what you are stating this would be considered a pass? If so that is great then and I'm just super paranoid!

Never done air tests that way, but I would assume the sealing rings will not leak once the front pump it seated in the case and torqued to spec.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88grandmarq View Post
Never done air tests that way, but I would assume the sealing rings will not leak once the front pump it seated in the case and torqued to spec.
Thanks for the support! I'm hoping for the same thing, I think I'm uber paranoid is all. This is my first rebuild, all other work on these transmissions has been just swapping entire assemblies, not rebuilding them, like when I swapped the 4R70W planetary and sun and stub shaft, or just installing shift kits etc.

Previously owned:
1988 LX 5.0 Sold
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Works great! All done and installed, took for test drive and felt like trans was slipping but I forgot I have a 3500 stall converter and it will feel lot more spongy than before. True test came on first WOT test and the car got sideways for a hundred feet or so, my neighbor was watching and gave a standing ovation. Shifts are very crisp and smooth and feel very positive, and OD works awesome, just nice fast and snappy engagement like that band just really snaps and grabs that drum now.

Thanks for the help and support!

Previously owned:
1988 LX 5.0 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in