Install new torque converter and hope the tranny lasts. 2 6.90%
Install new TC AND rebuild tranny. 3 10.34%
Swap to a 98+ GT tranny. 15 51.72%
Who cares? 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

4R70W rebuild? Or 98+ GT?

What tools would I need? I thought I saw someone post a seal protector kit a while back but can't find it now. Mechanic friend says there are specialty tools that he doesn't have that I will need.

I'm thinking about tackling the job myself this summer. I plan to replace clutches/bands and seals. Probably go with the updated 1-way clutch, but not the 5.4 planetary set. I don't plan on adding more power anytime in the future.

OR should I just get a 98+ GT tranny for around $500 and hope it has been cared for? I've found a couple with less than 35k miles on them... It would be nice to have the updated valve body and mechanical diode 1-way clutch already in it.

I have all the info on swapping in a newer tranny and what needs to be changed. Just want to know what everyone's opinion is on which I should go with.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-06-2003 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Personally I would just go with the '98 and up mustang tranny with the pi TC. Since you aren't planning on adding any power soon. Rebuilding the tranny is definately a pain in the a** and a very tedious process. IMO. It your car so do what you think will work. We can only give you what we would do, you still make the ultimate decision.

Russell
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 96bird
Personally I would just go with the '98 and up mustang tranny with the pi TC. Since you aren't planning on adding any power soon. Rebuilding the tranny is definately a pain in the a** and a very tedious process. IMO. It your car so do what you think will work. We can only give you what we would do, you still make the ultimate decision.

Russell
I agree with you 100% and I feel that the mustang tranny would be a good idea especially if I do end up adding power eventually. I also agree that rebuilding a tranny looks to be a real PITA from what I've read on the subject.

I don't think it would be cost effective to rebuild either, given what the upgrades would cost.

Just thought I would have a poll of what everyone's opinion is on rebuilding vs going with a 98+ tranny.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-07-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Quote:
Just thought I would have a poll of what everyone's opinion is on rebuilding vs going with a 98+ tranny.

That's cool. I think it is a good idea to see what others think and to get opinions before undertaking a major project. Never know when someone might have some info that will save you some time.

Russell
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 09:43 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

For the money you can't beat getting a later model trans because they come with a lot of the upgraded parts in them. I just bought a 5K mile 02 mustang trans for $650 shipped to my door with converter. Runs great.

www.greenleafauto.com

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 12:57 PM

Hello, I am thinking about swapping out my tranny as well. Are alot of parts required to do this, as far as getting a mustang tranny 98\99 or so. I have a 94 T-bird 4.6L

I think my TC may be shot because the tranny slips and does not run in synch with the motor.

Thanks

Jeff
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 01:03 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Only part you would need is a mustang flexplate to use the smaller converter and the you need to switch the Tbird TCC solonoind and MLPS into the mustang trans and change the wires in the connector. You also need a new speedo gear or your speedometer will be off.

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 01:27 PM

I'd get a 99+ due to the upgrades in the valvebody (per the tech article).

The flexplate is $50 thru Dan(nice guy).

I got the speedo gear thru Mustangs Unlimited $7.00 (cheepest I found).
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
On the 5.4l planetary set... my stock planetary set had a /crapload/ of play in the gears and the only mod I had that was proven for extra HP was the PI Cams. Are the cams what caused the slop? Probably not. But even if you're not planning on making a bunch of extra power, I think it's a worthwhile addition to your rebuild, just for a little piece of mind.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Only part you would need is a mustang flexplate to use the smaller converter and the you need to switch the Tbird TCC solonoind and MLPS into the mustang trans and change the wires in the connector. You also need a new speedo gear or your speedometer will be off.
I didn't put the TCC selenoid from my car into the tranny, is this a big problem?

It seems like it's doing fine.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 07:19 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

I have been told that it is a different resistance and will eventually damage the driver in the EEC. If you don't still have your old one they are only about $20 new

Birdless

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 07:32 PM

timb,Where is it located?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 07:41 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

You can get to it just by dropping the pan and it's held in with one bolt. If you remember there are two square looking solonoids that are next to each other and one that is round. The TCC is the round one. If you look in this article by A-train there is a picture at the very end of the article showing the TCC solonoid

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...ybusiness.html

I forgot to mention since the new one has the circuit board connector and your old one has a plug all you need to do is remove the plastic from yours were the plug was inserted and then yours will fit the circuit board.

Birdless

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 08:04 PM

Is there anything else you think I should know?

Thanks
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 11:45 PM

would a 99+ GT tranny be better than a reinhart tranny?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 11:53 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Quote:
Originally posted by chunk
Is there anything else you think I should know?

Thanks
That's all

Birdless

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 11:54 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkf10yd420
would a 99+ GT tranny be better than a reinhart tranny?
It depends. The 99 + trans has all the upgraded parts but it is missing a few things like the Jmod and tailshaft lube BUT and it's a big BUT it's less than 1/2 the price and you can add the Jmod and tailshaft lube on your own.

Birdless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in