4r75e swap - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
4r75e swap

i found a few older threads on this, but I am just looking forward to a replacement trans for the bird. I read there are two problems with trying to swap one of these into a 96: 1. The number of teeth on the output shaft. 2. The manual lever.

To handle the number of teeth issue, couldn't I just use a speed cal? I already have one hooked up would just have to change settings. Tss sensor isn't an issue because we can leave it unhooked, manual lever can be modified replaced easily enough. Is there anything that I am overlooking here? Thanks in advance!

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I'm not running a speed cal so I'm unsure if it would correct the issues. I know I had to change my 97 output shaft, outer planetary ring gear, output shaft speed sensor, and modify the harness to make it all work. But I do know that I am running an 04 4r75w.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I reused the Mustang manual lever on my trans for many years without issue, you just need to vice grip the cable to the lever when you secure and remove the mounting nut.

I'm almost certain you could use a SpeedCal on the OSS circuit, the main thing you need to make sure of is that you split the circuit into the former VSS branch and only have the speedcal on that branch, as the PCM needs to see the raw OSS signal. IOW you can't just install the speedcal as per their instructions in this manner.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

So the 4r75 is going to be one of those transmissions with the hole for the vss plugged/not machined? Is this a reliable way to id one of these transmissions? I have one laying around from a 04 cv.

You're saying I wire the vss circuit to the output of the speedcal, only tap into the oss for input? Would I need a tune for any differences in the trans? Like oss teeth count, vb differences? Thanks!

-Rob
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
So the 4r75 is going to be one of those transmissions with the hole for the vss plugged/not machined? Is this a reliable way to id one of these transmissions? I have one laying around from a 04 cv.

You're saying I wire the vss circuit to the output of the speedcal, only tap into the oss for input? Would I need a tune for any differences in the trans? Like oss teeth count, vb differences? Thanks!
The hole is there, there's just a plastic cover where the VSS would go, but there are no teeth on the output shaft to drive the VSS gear, which is why people swap them out.

And yeah it would be TAP into OSS from trans - run to speedcal - run to VSS circuits. As intended the Speedcal is designed to be installed directly in-line to the VSS or OSS, but in this instance that won't work. You'll also need to have the tune updated, the OSS tooth count is different as well for the 4R75w.

-Matt
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Very good info here! Thanks! Wonder if the Jmod instructions would be the same as 98+. I would imagine there would be much less drilling.

-Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in