96 Tbird rattle - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

96 Tbird rattle

I have a rattle that is giving me fits. I just realized it is coming from the area of the flex plate/ torque converter. It only rattles when accelerating, never happens at idle or when in park. It happens in drive, but it's worse in reverse. Sounds like a bolt in a can being shaken. I removed the exhaust and found nothing, then in desperation put it on a lift and it was easy to tell it was coming from the area of the torque convertor. I removed the cover to inspect the flex plate and could find nothing that looked like it was hitting. A little history on the car, it has 62,000 miles and had a driveshaft vibration when I bought it, since then I have replaced the carrier assembly, driveshaft(fixed the vibration) and the tailshaft bushing.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Loose tc or flywheel bolts?

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Any possibility of posting a video or sound clip?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Bad rod bearings, #8 in particular, would emanate most prominently from the lower bellhousing area.

-Matt
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Hopefully, this link works. My posting skills are not the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MZJ...ature=youtu.be

XR7, I was thinking rod bearing myself, however not for sure. It only makes the sound when it's in drive or reverse, never in park or neutral. This car has been parked for drive train issues almost since i bought it and unfortunately will have to remain so until I get this straightened out. Good thing my wife is understanding and likes Thunderbirds !
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 PM
PostWhore

Video is Privat.
How are your u-joints.?

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about that Maic, it should be viewable now. As for the U-joints, they have all been replaced.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 10:55 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88grandmarq Send a message via Yahoo to 88grandmarq
damn... is the engine suppose to move that much when you put in gear?

it sounds like either mechanical fan contacting the shroud or the flex plate contacting something.
have you been under the car? inspection plate in place and all the bolts tight?

Might be a broken flex plate.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 08:51 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Doesn't sound like rod bearings. At least none I've heard. Nor mains. Only does when going into gear. Never while driving or kicking down into passing gear? I'll agree with Grand Marq that it sounds like the sound of a fan hitting the shroud in a tradition engine driven fan car. Or air pump noise. But we have neither on our cars and you say it coming from the bell housing area.

Bad motor mount letting things flex? Loose starter? I assume it doesn't make the noise when starting. If it did it sounds kind off like starter to ring gear chatter. And in some ways it does sound like a exhaust leak. But those are normally a constant noise. Leaking EGR tube or fitting that only flexes on initial trans engagement?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

It will when accelerating and sometimes when going up hill, however if I really put my foot into it or go WOT no rattle. Definitely coming from the bell housing. There is some motor movement but I didn't think it was excessive, but I'm no expert. I'm going to put it back on the lift this weekend and take another look. I did remove the flex plate cover last weekend to inspect it. All the bolts seem tight with no sign of either the flex plate or the bolts hitting anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in