interchange 4R70W 98 with a 97 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

interchange 4R70W 98 with a 97

Hi everbody

Transmission (98) died on my F150 and I found an used one (97) for a fair price.
I found I found some information on this website, still have some doubt
I understand some update has been done on the 98 and understand clearly how to swap a 97 with an upgraded 98.
But I am in the opposite case , I want to install a 97 on a 98 car (so I go back)

Is the process just opposite and am I right if I say I have two options:
Either A or B
A) repin the connector from harness going into the D shaped connector ( 97 9 wires / 98 7 wires) and I don't have any transformation inside the tran.

or B) I switch the solenoid and hard wire harness from the 98 tran to 97 tran and I don't have to repin the car harness connector.

If A : did Ford keep the 2 unused wires in the car harness or will I find only 7 wires on 98 car.
If B : is the hardwire solenoid harness connection ( inside the 98 tran) the same type of connection as the 97 ? I mean I just have to disconnect the wire from connector ( under filter) and replacei it by the 98 hardwire ( same connection?) or have I to replace the white 97 D shape connector with the black 98, for exemple : because the 98 hardwire can't be connected to the white 97 connector inside the tran.

Any other problem to install a 97 tran in place of a 98?

Thank you for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
You will only find 7 wires, but the 2 missing ones are just duplicates of an existing wire, so if you get a little bit of the harness from the 97 trans, you can splice it into the existing wiring on the 98 to make it work. Certainly switching to the 98 internal harness would be the better route if everything will connect right up inside, since then you wouldn't need to repin anything, but having never done it, I don't know for sure if it will or not.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Hi thanks for your answer,
in the meantime I opened both and they have exactly the same layout, the only differences are the solenoid and harness, I will switch it from 98 to 97.
I see I have to switch the D shaped connector also but it looks not to be very complicated, I think they are just pushed in from inside.

I saw they was a second upgrade in 98: from late 97 they replaced the roller clutch by a mechanical diod, is it required to replace it ?
If yes is , is it complicated? I have no idea about the procedur, I even don't know where this part is located, and I don't feel it so much, I would like to keep the old system, the second reason is the price of the mechanical diode kit.....over 200

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:54 PM
5th Gear Poster

The mechanical diode upgrade means opening up the transmission, so it's something you may want do during a full rebuild.

What are your plans for the car? When I rebuilt my nearly-stock daily driver, I left the roller clutch in. But I've heard that fleet vehicles like taxis and patrol cars are more likely to experience roller clutch failure. I'm not sure why.

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Yes the D shaped connector just pushes into place from inside. As far as the mechanical one way clutch goes, don't bother. As was stated, replacing that requires a full disassembly of the trans, and at that point, you might as well rebuild your 98 trans vs. swapping in the 97 one and trying to upgrade it. If possible though, I would swap all your solenoids and sensors onto the replacement trans, this way if there are any differences, your ECM will still be seeing the right resistance values and everything should work properly.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:13 AM
6th Gear Poster

So basically DO NOT throw away the 98 & even then as Jerry mentions in his original thesis, even if you rebuild the 98 transmission w/the mechanical diode clutch, you will need to install the spiral retaining ring. The OEM snap ring is notorious for failing under high load, high RPM... kinda like the Roller Clutch that might be in your 97 u are getting ready to install...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROLER CLUTCH.jpg (110.3 KB, 2 views)

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran Poster

depends on what you want to do. If you just want to drive it or sell it....swap your valve body and wire harness over to the 97, and bolt it in. It will go.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88grandmarq Send a message via Yahoo to 88grandmarq
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
depends on what you want to do. If you just want to drive it or sell it....swap your valve body and wire harness over to the 97, and bolt it in. It will go.
agreed.... installing the correct internal transmission harness(to match the vehicle harness) and installing the correct solenoids is much easier in my opinion, than messing around with re-pinning connectors and re-wiring.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Tags
1997 , 4r70w , ford , trans swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in