Cougar Transmission Help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Question Cougar Transmission Help

Just purchased a '96 Cougar with just over 41k miles on it that has been sitting for a long time. As part of getting it back on the road, I was doing some checking and servicing of the car. One was the transmission fluid and filter change since the car did a slight shudder on the drive home while in overdrive going very slowly up a back road hill by my home. So upon dropping the pan, I see the fluid is a little dark and I also find a small off-white colored plastic piece with an o-ring seal around floating in the pan. The part almost looks like some sort of plunger. I've done some quick looking at the transmission and also tried finding some exploded transmission views but so far I'm unable to determine the part and where it belongs in the transmission. Any body have an idea where I can locate a good exploded view of the trans online or anyone know of this part and where it goes? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00603-1.jpg (1.47 MB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
It's called the "Oh $#!+" plug because everyone who doesn't know what it is, sees it floating in the pan and says that, and also because when you drop the pan on a trans with over 100K miles and see that in there, you say the same thing if you do know what it is.

That is a plug that they used from the factory to keep the transmission sealed where the dipstick goes. When they install the dipstick, they line it up on the long thin part that would have been sticking out, and just push it through into the pan, where it floats around until the pan gets dropped to have the fluid and filter changed. At this point, it serves no purpose, so just throw it away.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:46 AM
̇

Garage
The end of the transmission dipstick tube gets inserted into a bore in the case of the transmission..

On the end of the dipstick tube that gets inserted into that bore is an o-ring to seal the tube from leaking..

The little plug you found is worth hanging onto if you ever have to remove the transmission..

The dipstick tube gets removed before you drop the transmission out of the car..

Remove the old dipstick tube..Then prior to installing the transmission..
Insert the plug into the bore where the dipstick tube normally sits..

You only need it pushed in just far enough so that it prevents any fluid leakage or debris from falling into the transmission case..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 12:01 PM
5th Gear Poster

*gasp* That's the servo piston for the adjustable power band!

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Was a little confused as to what it was for as I'd never encountered one before and couldn't figure out where it went. So far this car is turning out pretty worthwhile with just some needed maintenance. One less issue on my list. Thanks again !!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 04:16 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Moved to the 4R tranny forum, more people will see it here!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 04:23 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
That is a sign that it's never had the pan dropped; the fluid is probably original.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in