Fair price for J-Modded valve body ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Fair price for J-Modded valve body ?

I'm selling my freshly j-modded valve body (96). It has updated boost valve and press regulator kit installed. New 1st & 2nd accumulator springs- light blue and violet, and updated accumulator piston/cap kit. New gasket kit and Purolator filter are included. I'm getting a new tranny and want to know what a good price to ask for this would be ? Any help would be appreciated.

-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Rob sells the kits for $100. Which is fair market value for the kit you describe above.

He also asks for the old valve bodies.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks TM, I guess I should have worded it a better way. This has already been taken apart, cleaned and put back together with all new parts. It's ready to drop and swap.

-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I know what you meant. A fair asking price is $100, same as Rob ... provided your kit is as good as his.

Which Jmod setting did you drill the separator plate to?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, uh.. no you don't. I'm saying I installed Rob's kit on a spare V-body (from another 96 Bird) then put it all back together again with all the upgrades listed above.

-Bob
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:15 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NeedAbirdinVA

'89 SC 5-speed SCP down tubes,muffler delete [email protected](sold) '94 Rose Mist Lincoln Mark VIII..Custom downtubes,muffler delete,gloss black cougar rims.(Now lives in my '91) '91 Thunderbird
V6 AKA The UnderBird.... cone filter, Custom down tubes to highflow cats,magnaflow muffler to turndowns in the middle of the car(LOUD), Vogtland 1.6 springs, poly bushings, '89 SC seats, '95 bird Sun visors, '95 bird radio, Chrome '97 sport rims with 255/55/16's... [email protected](mid 14's now)(skinnys,removed pass. seat,door panels and center console and advanced timing)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:44 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I personally wouldn't touch a valvebody at any price from someone with "riffraff" in their username and No reputation here.

But maybe that's just me...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Really ? gonna take that road... Here I thought you guys were past that whole " Let's go after the new guy " But then some of you are awful mouthy behind your keyboard. As far as my handle, well look at your own ? "Grog"....kinda sounds like some bad intestinal disease you got from eating rancid meat, but yeah... maybe that's just me? If you have nothing to add that's helpful to the thread, keep it to yourself...and that's something I have to say to a long time member? The only thing I would consider selling you is some respect because obviously you have none.

-Bob
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Bickering aside.....
1) Asking about what settings it was drilled out to is indeed a valid question. I modded my valve body out to the max settings with our stock V6 trackcar because... racecar. Those settings would be awful on the street. Not being able to answer this question puts into question what exactly the prospective buyer is getting besides a allegedly refreshed valve body.

2) Valve bodies seem to go for $50 on eBay. Your modded valve body could be worth this if someone trusts your work or $0 (if noone believes it was modified correctly and are unwilling to risk their transmission).

4) All in, I suspect that $100-120 makes sense if you can convince someone that you did everything to the instructions and did it correctly. See also item 1.

The fact that you are NOT a guy selling these parts professionally means increased risk for any prospective buyer. Increased risk must be balanced with a discount over the buyer's alternative options.
- Realistically, I think anyone not doing all of the JMOD work themselves will just pay someone to do all of the work (vs pay you something extra to do the valve body modification and then pay a second time to the installer to do a removal and replacement).
- Finally, I'm not sure if DD sells premodded valve plates or just a template (which in his words was a "a set of drill bits and instructions"). If he also sells a premodded valve plate for $100, well, you are probably looking at $100 delivered as the best you can hope for.

-g

PS. Grog is a cocktail drunk by sailors and pirates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grog

Riffraff is a mediocre rapper or slang for an unsavory person.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 07:21 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post

PS. Grog is a cocktail drunk by sailors and pirates.

This is a Grog. I've been told I look like this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks g, point taken.. the specs I used were for mild/street application, My cousin has a 97 bird and I wanted to sell it to him for a fair price that we both felt good about. BTW, my user name was a nickname my 1st Sgt. gave me after a 45 day field exercise in Grafenwoehr , it kinda stuck so I use it a lot. Sorry for the rant guys...it just shouldn't be such a hassle to ask for an opinion.

-Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in