Few 4R questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Few 4R questions

So my 9 4r has a TC shudder, so I think I would like to do a rebuilt or used transmission, a new OEM TC (oem mark 8 or marauder). I have found locally a 97 mark 8 4r, or a 2000 4r. The 97 mark trans has 90k. the 2000 has unknown. Both units are 200. I was curious what might be a better choice trans wise. Also I can not seem to find any information on repining the harness for the 2000 trans.

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The 2000 trans is a better unit. It has the stronger one-way clutch, and an improved case and valve body. Even the 97 trans is a large improvement over your stock one though. As for re-pinning, the 97 and down have one layout, and the 98 up have another, so repining for the 2000 trans is exactly the same as for the 98 trans. As for the torque converter, a higher stall will help the car move out a little better, so I would suggest an aftermarket one with a 3200-3500 stall speed. Also keep in mind for the new converter, you will need to replace your flexplate because the stock converter is a 12", and the better 11" ones have a different bolt pattern for the torque converter.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Ya I'm going mark 8 TC, they stall around 3000. I know they are different I am looking for any sort of right up or information on the differences. I am leaning towards the 2000 trans, though the unknown mileage worries me a little.

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Yeah, unknown mileage would have me worried too. Why is the mileage unknown, or is that unknown too? Is there any history on it, like what it came out of, or whether the car was wrecked or a mechanical failure or anything like that? What are your ultimate plans for the car? If you aren't looking to make much more power than stock, then the 97 MarkVIII trans would probably be fine, and it may be a safer bet than something that potentially could have over 200K miles on it. Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would probably pass on both of those and look for a low mileage 99-03 trans, and maybe pay a little more for it, but know that you won't have to worry about it ever again.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Yeah, unknown mileage would have me worried too. Why is the mileage unknown, or is that unknown too? Is there any history on it, like what it came out of, or whether the car was wrecked or a mechanical failure or anything like that? What are your ultimate plans for the car? If you aren't looking to make much more power than stock, then the 97 MarkVIII trans would probably be fine, and it may be a safer bet than something that potentially could have over 200K miles on it. Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would probably pass on both of those and look for a low mileage 99-03 trans, and maybe pay a little more for it, but know that you won't have to worry about it ever again.
Ya I may do the Jmod and some other little tinkers, and run the 97 trans. I didn't ask about the unknowns of the 200 trans, the lady I talked to seemed annoyed that I was calling about them being for sale. I would like the car to hit in the 300whp range. Getting this trans has me with 2 transmissions, so I would not sweat blowing one up. We shall see. I have to ponder it a bit. Maybe I can bring her down price wise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in