Weird OD shift - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Weird OD shift

I've done a lot of reading on old posts and I'm thinking I have a MLPS issue at this point. When shifting into overdrive, it neutrals out for a few moments and slides into gear. After its in gear it holds it just fine. Every other gear shifts fine as well. I've replace the OD servo pin with the sonnax pin and replace the OD band. I've also replaced the shift solenoid as well with no change. What are talks thougts on this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 11:54 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
If it's a later model tranny, they just do that.

It happens at light throttle.

There's a value file in my tuning software that fixes it, but the actual cause, I'm not sure about.

If it just suddenly started doing this, I'd start saving for new seals.

Putting continuous teflon seals in the direct shaft and the input shaft fixes a lot of issues; the ones at the direct clutch shaft can cause low pressure in 3rd and 4th.

If it's the newer tranny, be careful; it really does hit neutral for a sec, and will do a neutral drop if you nail it.

Staying on the throttle while it shifts will prevent it; it's light throttle shifts that cause it.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I found my issue after swapping to a 03 Crown Vic transmission. In the process of swapping tail shafts I found my problem.

3rd gear was starting to go out as well so I had to do something until I can completely build a transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:11 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
That particular problem is usually the teflon seals that supply pressure to the direct clutch, that are on the output shaft.

You need the seals, and the resizing tool. Or some skill with hose clamps; I wouldn't do it like that.

Check out these threads:

4R70W Transmission Rebuild Diary | Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Specifically, this pic:

http://www.explorerforum.com/data/503/DSCN6608.JPG

The top seal is the scarf cut one that leaks; the lower one is the contiguous one that won't for a long time.

You need the seal installers, or you'll just ruin a bunch of seals.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks for the info! I do appreciate it. I was thinking earlier today that I didn't have this problem until my shift solenoid went out on me and I lost second gear and had to limp home abusing third a whole hell of a lot. Ever since then the OD issue showed its face and then third started going on me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in