1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rodeo Joe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

TCC Lockup, normal?

Hello all,

By now you are probably getting tired of my posts,

95 thunderbird lx 4.6 200,000 miles, runs good,

Always thought shifting was early but noticed the torque converter is locking up immediately after going into 3rd and 4th.
Sometimes takes a while to unlock when coasting with no throttle.

Had a ford friend scan with a scanner to verify, also noted it releases when I tap the brakes.

The question is , is it supposed to lock up so early after the shifts? Makes it seem gutless as with full lockup it feels like driving a manual and having shifted too early.

The tcc solenoid looks easy enough to change, or I could do a mercon V swap. Fluid already looks good though.

THoughts?

I forgot to mention, no codes,

Also, when looking through the pids and datastream for my torque pro, I dont see much as to tran temp or trans oil temp.

Anyone know a custom pid to add to view this stuff on our cars?

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 08-28-2016 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Merged posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 05:14 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcetopher View Post
By now you are probably getting tired of my posts
Nah, you only have 6 of them!

Joe
Woodman likes this.

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 08:23 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Nah, you only have 6 of them!

Joe
I was going to say that too!

So to the question...

Does the torque converter lock up even when under throttle in 3rd and fourth, or just when you're accelerating up to speed and when you reach speed it goes straight to 3rd or 4th and lockup?

I'd say that if it unlocks while steady on throttle with a tap on the brake, it's normal.

You're bone stock right? No aftermarket chip, tune, etc? Have you owned the car since new?

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ok, so if it's locking and unlocking when the computer says that it is then it's almost positively not the TCC.

I would start with a few things that don't cost much like cleaning the MAF and checking the throttle position sensor.

D

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Woodman,

Car appears to be stock other than Exhaust and some bright blue plug wires. Could have been J modded, maybe that the problem? Could also have been tuned. Seems to have a lot more power than its supposed to, but thats just me.

Yes it locks up when under throttle. Basically the TC is locked from the time it gets into third, onward, until I tap the brakes, or coast for a while.
Ive done some reading and see the the TC should provide slip before it is fully warm, wonder if my TFT sensor is reading very hot and therefore it is just locking all the time.

Darrin, Maf is clean, readout looks good on scangauge, TPS movement is crisp throughout the voltage band.

As of this morning, car has now developed a bad missfire under acceleration, cylinder 1 and 2.
Have ordered new coil packs but they will take a while to get here, will try switching the coils and then seeing if the missfire follows the new coil position.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:47 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
How old are your plugs and wires?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

New plugs and wires,

Just figured out the missfire on 1 and 2 were because the wires werent pushed down all the way

I just ordered a boat load of tune up parts from ebay too, to fix this problem, oh well I guess ill have extras

Two coils, set of plugs, ect sensor, fuel filter, trans filter gasket set, I have all this if anyone needs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 06:46 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
New plugs and wires,

Just figured out the missfire on 1 and 2 were because the wires werent pushed down all the way

I just ordered a boat load of tune up parts from ebay too, to fix this problem, oh well I guess ill have extras

Two coils, set of plugs, ect sensor, fuel filter, trans filter gasket set, I have all this if anyone needs.
If your car is tuned, they could have the TCC set to lock up in 3rd and 4th automatically. Even if it is set to, it should still be unlocked till the transmission gets warm enough, which in summertime takes almost no time at all. You should see a minor RPM drop once it warms up, maybe 100 or so RPM.

I remember reading at one point about performance tunes set to lock the TCC in 3rd and 4th. I don't understand why, which is why I'm asking for tune advice in the ECC tuning thread.

You can always pull the passenger side kick panel, see if there's a chip on your computer. If there isn't, it could be tuned. Do you have any history on the car? Maybe some pictures? Did it come with any documentation?

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 07:57 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
New plugs and wires,

Hopefully the coil packs and spark plug wires say "Motorcraft" on them. If not, get some. These cars like Motorcraft for everything, except you can use Autolite plugs.

And the factory pan gasket is re-usable, and the only one that should be used.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in