1997 Cougar transmission problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

1997 Cougar transmission problems

Hello everyone, I'm new the this site, I have a 1997 4.6L Cougar with transmission problems, it is stock with a cooler. It won't shift out of first at wide open throttle and it feels like it is slipping in overdrive when going uphill at around 40mph and give it a little throttle to get it to down shift into third, it will buck or jerk a few times before downshifting. It shifts fine during normal driving at light to medium throttle except for the buck/jerk sometimes on the 4-3 downshift. The PCM has no codes and I've checked all the engine sensors. Also did a transmission fluid and filter change hoping it might fix the issue, and checked the 1-2 accumulator piston and springs, all looked normal. Need some advice on what to check next. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Is there any chance the bucking could be the torque converter? The 96 and 97 cars were really bad about that.

The WOT shift problem is a little strange since you have addressed the most likely issues already. Saying that it shifts normally otherwise leads me toward a control issue. I wish there were data to look at on what the computer is commanding. I am leaning toward the valve body. But, not sure.

D

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Is your 0/D light flashing? A more basic scan tool will not pick up trans codes in my experience. Mine comes up clear unless I go into the manufacturer specific/enhanced dtc scan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:20 PM
5th Gear Poster

Maybe not transmission related at all, could be your ignition coils that are going bad. A lot of times an ignition issue and bucking will feel like transmission but it's actually ignition related, especially since you're mentioning it shifts fine at medium throttle. I had some bucking at low RPM too and thought it was the trans slipping, turns out it was an ignition coil in the end.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and info guys. After replacing the MAF, TPS, neutral safety switch and installing a Sonnax Sure Cure kit in the transmission valve body the problem is still occurring. I did install Accel ignition coils, E3 spark plugs, and new wires before this all started, so that is most likely the problem, *smacks head* lol. I ordered Motorcraft ignition coils, plugs and wires. I'll see if that fixes it. Another issue now though is an RPM surge after it goes into overdrive for a second at light throttle and then the RPMs drop down to normal again almost like the OD is disengaging momentarily. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in