4R70W compability - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pnilz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
4R70W compability

Hi everyone! New to this forum and I'm looking all over the net for info. I bought a 95 T-bird LX 2 months ago and it has that dreadful converter shudder. So it's either a rebuild of the trans and getting a new converter or getting another transmission. Luck has it that I found a junkyard that has a transmission from a 04 Mustang GT and I was wondering if it would fit or not since both cars has the sohc 4.6l.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
It will physically bolt up, but you will have a few issues to deal with. First off, you will have to get the flexplate out of the 04 Mustang as well, since the torque converter in the Mustang uses a smaller diameter bolt pattern than the tbird. Second, you will need to swap your shift lever, MLPS sensor, and EPC solenoid from the tbird trans into the Mustang unit. Third, you will need to re-pin the main connector to match the Mustang pinout. And finally, the 04 trans uses a magnetic pickup for the speed sensor instead of a drive gear, and this results in different pulse counts per revolution, so you will need to get an extended range speedcal to adjust the signal.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnilz View Post
Hi everyone! New to this forum and I'm looking all over the net for info. I bought a 95 T-bird LX 2 months ago and it has that dreadful converter shudder. So it's either a rebuild of the trans and getting a new converter or getting another transmission. Luck has it that I found a junkyard that has a transmission from a 04 Mustang GT and I was wondering if it would fit or not since both cars has the sohc 4.6l.
Have you tried draining the fluid in the transmission and the torque converter and refilling them with Mercron V transmission fluid?
Converter shudder is often just old fluid.

Otherwise, if the transmission shifts ok, I wouldn't go through the bother of replacing it. A replacement "stock style" converter isn't very expensive, and you can always get one that would be stock on the Lincoln Mark VIII, Mercury Maurader, etc that would bolt right up and have a slightly higher stall speed for a little better get up and go.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

That 04 is going to not work for you a whole lot more than it will. Too much to address to make it compatible.

D

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey guys, and thanks for the replys. I think I'll just drop the idea of getting a new gearbox. Can't say that I have any problems shifting, except that the turbine is kinda loud in first gear and it makes a funny noise if I pop it in neutral. I think I'll just start with getting new Mercon V fluid in it and if it doesn't work, maybe just getting a new stock style converter might work.
Woodman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in