3Likes
  • 2 Post By Darrin
  • 1 Post By Mr.Thunderbird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
OD light flashing

Out for a drive right now 5 PMEST . Noticed the od light flashing as I was driving down the interstate. Everything is or seems to be working fine. Od still cuts off and on but light flashes for awhile then stops. Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:44 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
You'll have to get the code read from the EEC, but something in the tranny isn't working right at times.

Datalogging might show something, but if it's a stock tranny, I'd start saving for a newer one.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
I had the codes read today, but there were none from the tranny. But on driving it I noticed it's shuddering. I added a tube of Anti Shudder but it didn't seem to do much, might have settled down a little bit. I still have the monster torque converter sitting in the garage. I'm going to a transmission shop on Monday for an estimate to install it. Anybody have any clue as to the hours on this job? Thanks

Mr.Thunderbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 04:03 PM
Cougar Pilot

Overdrive Light BLINKING (F250 SuperDuty) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
My overdrive light is blinking??? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 12:48 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Not sure where you got the codes read at, but just a generic scan will not pick up transmission codes on my 1997 tbird. On my tool I have to go into the OEM enhanced DTC mode and re-scan to pick them up. The O/D light flashing has nothing to to with the O/D function, it just means the computer is sensing an error with the transmission.

The Ford truck page link touches on that but it's buried.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
I went to AutoZone. Their about the only ones still reading codes in my area. And yes it was a generic code reader. Thanks for the info. I finally found a shop that will change the torque converter for me. All the big shops wanted to rebuild the trans instead of installing the converter I have. Let you know in a week or two how it went...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Okay cool, I'd suggest picking up your own scan tool, it's a good investment. I picked up a lightly used high end model on the cheap (relatively).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
I will pick up a scan reader soon. I'll be doing most of my own tune ups and small repairs from now on. Can't afford anymore rip off shops like my last one.....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I hear ya, I can't afford shop labor rates either. Much easier to invest in enough tools to get by and the parts you need.. Anything a Haynes manual can't help you with will be on YouTube most likely.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I wouldn't replace the torque converter until you know for sure what problem the computer is seeing. A couple of reasons for that are that the converter might not be the problem and if there is another problem it could junk up a perfectly good new converter.

D
Grog6 and CDsDontBurn like this.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Mr. Slowly gets a driving lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
I wouldn't replace the torque converter until you know for sure what problem the computer is seeing. A couple of reasons for that are that the converter might not be the problem and if there is another problem it could junk up a perfectly good new converter.

D
Ok, here is what has happened so far. One day I start the car and hear something dragging from inside the bell housing of the transmission. Metal to metal sound. I back the car out of the garage and after changing from D to R a few times it seems to go away, only later to come back intermittently. Now I am getting what I've been told is tq converter shudder. Took it to two shops and they only wanted to rebuild the transmission and tq converter. The 3rd, a shop known for building race transmissions, actually took my car for a drive. (OH, I was all worried about the trans not shifting out of 1st soon enough, it shifts at WOT around 5000 and layed rubber doing it. Guess it just needed someone that knows how to drive to do it.) He said the trans seemed fine and that his best guess is that the tq converter might have an issue with the lock up. He took me to Advance auto and added some Lucas trans fluid conditioner to the transmission. Seemed to help some but it's not all gone. I have a Monster tq converter I want in the car anyway. It's a heavy duty version of what is in the car now. So I am getting it installed. If this doesn't work I am switching to a 5 speed. Which is better for the mountain running I like to do anyway.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Mr.Thunderbird
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 06:32 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Did any of the 3 shops you take it to scan the codes for you?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
No. The first two only wanted to rebuild everything for $1650.00, the Speed shop actually drove the car but no codes read. He did add half a quart of Lucas trans fluid conditioner that did help, but today I took the car out for a romp in the mountains and ended up with a smoking car. The guy said that it wouldn't hurt anything to over fill the trans by the amount he added to it. He did say that if anything it would push it out the overflow. I guess that's what was happening since the smoke was coming off the rear side of the engine and the dipstick for the trans was wet. I think I'm going to stick a tube down the fill/dipstick hole tomorrow and syphon some out...... Kinda embarrassing driving ol' smokey down the road.

Mr.Thunderbird

Last edited by Mr.Thunderbird; 10-01-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in