rebuilt 4r70e problem Please HELP!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

rebuilt 4r70e problem Please HELP!!

Just rebuilt my 4r70e and now i am getting a P0731 code.

Short background, i had the trans rebuilt and it failed about 15k miles later the shop looked at it "under warranty" and two weeks later rebuilt it and said it wasn't their fault so they charged me again. I didn't really have a choice so I paid it and currently fighting that. Well 5 months later it failed again. I took it apart myself and found the rear bearing destroyed, clutches and steels where fine, all hard parts looked good. I did find out he installed the wrong sungear which was causing rubbing on the sunshell which i assume created heat and metal which destroyed my bearing.

All that to say i rebuilt the trans, checked seals and tolerances installed it correctly and when i take it on a test drive i am get a P0731 code. It reverses fine, once in drive it shifts thru the gears and doesn't hesitate or shudder. Once I stop and start again that is when i get the gear ratio code. Additionally, if i put it in D2 it will work, i only have 2nd gear but i do have engine braking but doesn't throw a code. When i put it in D1, i can feel it engage and it does move about an inch when i let off the brake but it won't move. It feels like there is a load on the engine but is binding somewhere. When i let the truck sit with the battery unplugged and start it up it feels like it starts in 1st but doesn't engage first after that.

I dropped the pan and changed out my shift solenoid and gaskets hoping that it would be an easy fix but no luck. I am really not wanting to pull the whole transmission if i can avoid it but will if that is what is needed. Does anyone have any insight with this at all?? I am desperate as this is my main mode of transportation.

Additional background, when it was rebuilt the first time, he did say he added a shift kit. I don't know if he did or what he added. I did add a sonnax line booster kit to my valve body. I noticed when i made this change that the upgraded booster was already in the VB but it didn't have the spring i had with my kit. I made the change. I also switched out the 1-2 accumulator spring. I dont know, i am thinking i could have messed with something there. I just can't imagine something is installed incorrectly internally since everything else is working fine and was within specs.

Thank you for any help you can provide. Sorry for the long first post but i heard that this was the place to ask tech questions

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Define "wrong sungear"

D

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Define "wrong sungear"

D
He installed a sun gear from an earlier version before they changed they bearings. When I had it in it would causing the sunshell to sit too low and rub on the center support.

Any help would be appreciated. Trans works up to fourth on the highway. When I slow down to first that's when it throws a code.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

What year and vehicle is this in?

D

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
What year and vehicle is this in?

D
2006 f150 2wd 4.6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:37 AM
4th Gear Poster

I would figure it would have been the original one if they had it in there. rarely that they would change it out unless it was in bad shape. but if they checked every thing out before installing the parts in the transmission it would be hard to tell what could cause the issue. but unless it is they type of shop that did it and didn't pay attention which is hard to prove. but when I had my 90 f150 trans rebuilt they had to replace pretty much every thing minus the case. because it had a factory flaw some one installed some thing wrong and took out every thing. but it is hard to find out if a sun gear is truly bad till it takes out another trans. the shop should have taken care of you if it is still under the mile and year. they probably was looking at the mile marker of the warranty sadly as well as the color of the fluid. have you changed the fluid and filter with in the life of the rebuild?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in