95 4.6L Tbird 4R70W rebuild - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By r429460

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88grandmarq Send a message via Yahoo to 88grandmarq
95 4.6L Tbird 4R70W rebuild

Local Georgia Tbird owner contacting me about the transmission in his 95 Tbird, complaining it lost reverse. He had the transmission removed from the car by a local shop and delivered the transmission to me. The residual fluid was dark red and had a burned odor. Paint pen writing on the bell housing indicated the transmission had been rebuilt in 2013. However, once I got the transmission apart it appeared to be mostly factory parts, nothing had been updated.
The cause of the no reverse complaint was quickly located, the bonded rubber reverse servo piston was brittle and pieces of the rubber was breaking off in chunks. Further disassembly found the transmission still had the old style aluminum 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons, old style (small) OD servo piston and old style shift solenoid. The intermediate clutches were the old style smooth frictions and internal teeth on the clutches showed wear from contact with the splines on the intermediate drum. The OD band was burned, the forward clutches were burned and the direct clutches were burned. Both one way roller clutches (intermediate and low/reverse) fell apart into pieces when I removed them from the races. The pressure regulator valve was severely worn and both valve body gaskets were baked to the case from heat.
Transmission was fully rebuilt and parts were updated to most current level. Jmod was performed and worn shift valves were replaced with Sonnax replacement pieces. The intermediate shaft was updated with a later model one. The original shaft has a groove machined at the splines which is known to break. Both accumulator pistons were updated to bonded rubber parts and the OD servo piston was updated to the larger 2.7" piston. The shift solenoid was replaced with a newer designed part. The direct and intermediate clutches were replaced with high carbon clutches that are resistant to burning. The low/reverse one way roller clutch was replaced and the intermediate one way clutch was updated to the mechanical diode style and staked in place with a spiral locking ring. I also performed lubrication mods to increase fluid flow on the pump stator and the direct clutch drum snout.
Jmod on the 95 and older valve bodies is slightly different from the newer years, they require unique valve body gaskets and it is very important to replace the pressure regulator valve spring as the factory spring is known to be weak and will break and/or collapse. For this Jmod, a sonnax pressure regulator valve and spring are installed as well as a new boost valve. The holes are drilled as follows:
hole 1 .160"
hole 2 .089"
hole 3 .180"
hole 4&5 .093"
hole 6" .160" - you can only make this hole larger than .125" if mechanical diode one way clutch is installed
hole 7 .093"
hole 8 .238"
hole 9&11 .110"
hole 10 .093"
slot 1 is opened to .100" in the gasket
On this separator plate, hole 11 was not drilled from the factory. I created a jig out of an older valve body and drilled hole 11 by hand with a smaller pilot hole then enlarging it to the desired size.
It is also important to enlarge 2 other holes on these older plates (see red arrows in picture) Opening these holes balances the fluid circuit that controls the torque converter lock up and reduces torque converter shudder.
I also replaced the factory flat pan with the later model pan with a sump in the middle and a new motorcraft Ft-105 filter. this will prevent fluid starvation.
The transmission was air tested and delivered to the vehicle owner.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:37 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Nice job.

Hard to believe that was rebuilt just 3 years ago.......or was it?!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:55 AM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

That's a junk yard transmission
Grog6 likes this.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88grandmarq Send a message via Yahoo to 88grandmarq
Quote:
Originally Posted by r429460 View Post
That's a junk yard transmission
I suppose it could be from a junk yard. The vehicle owner confirmed the transmission had previously been rebuilt around that time frame. I was able to confirm aftermarket gaskets had been used on the front pump and valve body, so I know someone was in the transmission at some point.
either way, its fixed and working now.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in