Final clearance - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Final clearance

Complete tear down and rebuild for my 4R70W and all has gone very smoothly thanks to this and other forums. The only thing that has caused me some concern is at the very end when you go to install the pump. In videos I've seen they seem to be able to turn the input shaft rather easily by hand and also show some end play. After I install my pump, I can't turn the input shaft by hand, however I can turn the output shaft. Also, there is no end play.
I have completely disassembled this thing 3 times looking for an upside down bearing, too many frictions/ steels, anything that I could think of that would cause what I'm guessing is a "too long" of an assembly and have found nothing.
So I started taking some measurements and comparing to dimensions I've found on-line. Two measurements that have me confused; 1) from the last steel of the intermediate clutch pack to the pump surface of the case should be (according to Ford) .945. I measure .7375 which indicates that my pack is too thick/ high however when I measure the overall thickness of the pack, it is .0225" thinner than the the old pack that I'm replacing. 2) my measurement from the top of the reverse drum bearing to the pump surface is .9185 and have seen that it apparently should be in the .8130 range based upon the variety of the colored selective washers. This seems to indicate that the drum is "too low".

What am I missing?

Thanks, Kurt
Typed with two thumbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:14 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Have you seen this?

The numbers you mention do not seem familiar, I must be measuring differently.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Yes, that's exactly the info that I've been using as a reference.
Sorry, my numbers don't take into account the "H bar", so add .70" to my numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

I've tried to cast a wide net by placing my situation on 4 forums that have some very knowledgable and experienced members, many of whom have helped me over the years. One person pointed out that the #2 and #9 bearings are very similar and can easily get mixed up.
So I completely disassembled again to verify that I had those two bearing installed correctly, and they are in their proper locations. I'm still looking for any other suggestions.
Thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

I removed the plastic selective washer, pump o-ring, intermediate frictions /steels and the pump to case gasket. Reinstalled the pump and snugged a couple of bolts to hold the pump in place. I can now turn the shaft by hand and I get some end play. End play measures .054" so if I were to install the thinnest selective washer (.052") I would end up beyond the tight end of the tolerance range of .005" - .020"

Should I just run with the green selective and cross my fingers? The little man on my shoulder say NO!

Just checked my pump to case gasket, .017"
So with the green washer at .052" maybe I'm good to go?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in