I have to rebuild my 4R70W. Last time I replaced only a few parts and it fixed it's 1-2 shift problem, but not long after a 2-3 shift problem appeared.
Now I want to do a full rebuild (well, as full as my budget allows to), I studied articles about 4R70Ws and I found most answers I've been looking for, but there are still several things I'm confused about.
I'll point them out for some clarity.
1. Overhaul Kit - does a kit like this one - Ford AODE 4R70W Transmission Gasket and Seal Overhaul Kit 1992-1995
- include every gasket and seal I will need? You know, I live in Poland and I have to order almost all parts in the USA, it means a high expense and long time for me (shiping and taxes), so I really want to avoid a situation where I will need to order one single seal separately and pay another 50$ in total for it, because it wasn't included in a kit.
2. Sure Cure Kit - I'm gonna rebuild my tranny using an AODE/4R70W Full Rebuild Tutorial by Transmission Bench found on youtube. An instructor really recommends using a Sure Cure Kit by Sonnax, but every one I'm finding is for 96 and up transmissions. I've somewhere read that for older ones I can use an AODE Sure Cure Kit with manufacturer part number: SC-AODE, like this one - https://www.amazon.com/Sonnax-SNX-SC...aode+sure+cure
Can anybody confirm this? Is this a proper kit for a 1995 4R70W?
3. Frictions - What is that yellow friction material on the reverse frictions here - https://www.globaltransmissionparts....ule-raybestos/
- and is this gonna be ok for a stock car? I'm sure it will stay stock for another year or even longer, it's just a daily car, so I don't need any high performance stuff, but I want to give my transmission everything it needs to work fine for a long time.
Grooved, high energy frictions for a direct and an intermediate clutch, tan - stock ones for a forward clutch and I don't know what's for a reverse in this kit? Can I buy and istall this?
4. Steels - Are they reusable? My intermediate and direct steels have some blackened points, but they're still smooth and have no other signs of any other damage. Can I use those steels again or should I buy a new steels kit?
5. Intermediate One Way Clutch - Is a mechanical diode interchangeable with a roller clutch? Isn't it, right? If I wanted to upgrade my intermediate one way clutch, I'd buy a whole reverse cylinder assembly with a mechanical diode, right?
I'm afraid I can't afford it right now, although can I upgrade my 7-element roller to 14-element one? Will it fit?
6. Oil Cooler - I really want to install one since I don't have it yet. I won't have much money for a cooler after buying the whole rebuild stuff, but "even a crappy cooler is better that none", right? Can anybody tell me if this one - More Information for HAYDEN 676
- is gonna be ok? If it's not, could you check rockauto's coolers (I have some dicount there and I will order some parts there anyway) for a 1995 4.6 Thunderbird and tell me which one of these cheap ones will be the best for my car?
Here's a direct link - 1995 FORD THUNDERBIRD 4.6L V8 Oil Cooler | RockAuto
7. Overdrive Servo - I'm going to do a Jmod and I don't know which servo I'm supposed to use. "Building a Bullet Proof 4R70W" in your articles section says about using a 2.5 Servo in cars under 300HP, but Jmod instructions says about putting in a 2.7 Servo. So... 2.7?
I believe this is it. I will be very thankful for any answers, advices and tips since here in Poland I have noone to ask about 4R70W. I believe I can rebuild it corretly, just have to be sure which parts to use and it's gonna be ok. I hope
Thank you very much,