The time has come. Trans failed today - TCCoA Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The time has come. Trans failed today

So the *cough* Mr. Brown *cough* built trans finally bit the dust today. I knew it was coming not long after I put it in but wasn't sure when - and in biding my time and tempting fate - the time has come. It was "rebuilt" and put in April of 2012 at 131,000. Car has a touch over 157,000 now.

No idea what croaked in it, but needless to say it sounds pretty nasty.

For the last couple years it's taken 2-3 seconds to engage reverse. With this new development, as I was backing it in the garage, it was vibrating and didn't want to move shy of 1500-1800 RPM in gear. Noise occurs independent of gear (does in N too) the trans is in, wondering if it's the pump (originally thought it was the PS pump)?

So the car is parked until I can save up to replace the converter (before it blows up) and get the trans properly gone through.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 07-25-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
That sounds like a roller clutch slipping; Is it supposed to be a mechanical diode, or was it stock?

You should disassemble it and take pix; they're easy to take apart if you aren't rebuilding it.

I'd look for an 02 to rebuild, there's a ton of changes.

I paid about $300 for the last one I bought; it's lasted ~3 years.

Save the 7 tooth output shaft for the rebuild; it gives you more room for wheels/tires.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Time for a 5-speed swap!

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
It was supposedly a pull from an '04 GT with 71k on it. So it's already got all the good changes. I'd almost pay to know what the heck he did to that thing to cause it to go out so fast. Even before its first fluid change!

I'll probably call a few places to see what I'm likely in for to get it looked at. Hopefully what was done to it by the guy I got it from (I hate to even say his name lol) and what's happening to it now aren't things that "can't" be fixed properly.

Anyone want the converter for cheap to try and blow up?

5 speed... well, maybe if I knew how to drive stick...
KEVIN8989 likes this.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I didn't either, didn't let that minor detail stop me lol

-Matt
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
You can fly a plane, but you can't drive stick? What the hell man?
Grog6 and CDsDontBurn like this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I know, I know... priorities, what can I say.

My sister tried teaching me like 10 years ago and all I did was manage to stall it out so many times, it refused to start for 30 minutes.

A buddy of mine will probably convince me to let him teach me on his ride...

Needless to say I'm taking the Mark VIII to the eclipse next month! It's more refined and better on gas on the highway anyway.

-Brandon

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 01:22 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
I know, I know... priorities, what can I say.

My sister tried teaching me like 10 years ago and all I did was manage to stall it out so many times, it refused to start for 30 minutes.

A buddy of mine will probably convince me to let him teach me on his ride...

Needless to say I'm taking the Mark VIII to the eclipse next month! It's more refined and better on gas on the highway anyway.
I don't know what your sister drove but I found it much easier to learn with a V8 than a 4 cylinder, since there's enough low end grunt to get you creeping along with minimal throttle input, which gives you the ability learn to modulate the clutch independently of throttle, and once you get the hang of that everything else is easy. Conversely the first manual car I ever drove was a Civic SI at school and I couldn't get it ten feet from the parking space without stalling it ten times, that car was much less forgiving. I don't think I ever once stalled my Cougar leaving from a stop, not even the first time. Bucking was the bigger (and more embarrassing) issue, but some blame for that may lie in the cheapie clutch and the bad tune settings.

-Matt
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 PM

Garage
I learned how to use a clutch on dirt bikes, and never had a problem.

I had a bike license at 14, something they no longer allow.

I personally would go buy a JY tranny out of a Granny Car that no one fucked with, because there's no way to know what's in the controls, or anywhere else.

Additional holes are hard to find...

Take it to someone who has never heard "ford" and "transgo" in the same sentence and have them:
  • Add all the sonnax VB upgrades (there's a superior kit with most of these)
  • Add new accumulator pistons
  • Add the thick plate VB upgrade (does the jmod without drilling)
  • Add the sonnax reinforcement upgrade (keeps the VB from getting stamped)
  • Add one piece teflon seals on the direct shaft and input shaft
  • Install new torringtons and bushings
  • Have it rebuilt with the current new stock plates (some of which are expensive)
That's about as good as it gets.

You can get billet drums for ~$200 each, but I think that's overkill for stock.

EDIT: I meant to put in links for searchers that land here:

Parts and transmissions:
https://transmissioncenter.net/produ...ory/ford/aode/

http://transmissiontechnologies.com/...70E-4R75E.aspx

https://transpartsonline.com/TRANS_P...PartsType=4R70

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Last edited by Grog6; 07-28-2017 at 03:40 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yeah it was a 4 banger Escape, not much in the way of torque lol.

Reached out to Circle D about a converter. Also reached out to a local trans shop with a good reputation... and moved the car around a bit. For the moment, when it's cold it seems to act normal. Hmmm...

-Brandon

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
... For the moment, when it's cold it seems to act normal. Hmmm...
Lol.

It will do this.

The roller clutch is a GDMFPOS device, that when, And Only When, all the ground flat spots line up, slips like yours did. (I think ClintD pointed this up in a recent thread...)

I've heard the noise before, but only at WOT.

Quote:
It was supposedly a pull from an '04 GT with 71k on it. So it's already got all the good changes. I'd almost pay to know what the heck he did to that thing to cause it to go out so fast. Even before its first fluid change!

The Tranny you supposedly have (04, w/Mech Diode) will not do that, so you really should take it apart and post pix.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:53 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I learned how to use a clutch on dirt bikes, and never had a problem.

I had a bike license at 14, something they no longer allow.

I personally would go buy a JY tranny out of a Granny Car that no one fucked with, because there's no way to know what's in the controls, or anywhere else.

Additional holes are hard to find...

Take it to someone who has never heard "ford" and "transgo" in the same sentence and have them:
  • Add all the sonnax VB upgrades (there's a superior kit with most of these)
  • Add new accumulator pistons
  • Add the thick plate VB upgrade (does the jmod without drilling)
  • Add the sonnax reinforcement upgrade (keeps the VB from getting stamped)
  • Add one piece teflon seals on the direct shaft and input shaft
  • Install new torringtons and bushings
  • Have it rebuilt with the current new stock plates (some of which are expensive)
That's about as good as it gets.

You can get billet drums for ~$200 each, but I think that's overkill for stock.

EDIT: I meant to put in links for searchers that land here:

Parts and transmissions:
https://transmissioncenter.net/produ...ory/ford/aode/

AODE,4R70W,4R75W,4R70E,4R75E: TAT | Auto & Transmission Repair | Online Parts Store

https://transpartsonline.com/TRANS_P...PartsType=4R70
Not totally relevant to the topic:

Are those PATC transmissions really just 2800 bucks? I don't know that just seems reasonable to me. I was looking at Lentech 4R70Ws and they're around the same price. I don't know exactly how much a performance rebuild runs but I know it's not a few hundred bucks lol.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo View Post
Not totally relevant to the topic:

Are those PATC transmissions really just 2800 bucks? I don't know that just seems reasonable to me. I was looking at Lentech 4R70Ws and they're around the same price. I don't know exactly how much a performance rebuild runs but I know it's not a few hundred bucks lol.
I haven't bought their tranny's so I can't say.

I'd search. The web roots out BS fast enough.

I've bought a whole shitload of their parts; great service.

I'd buy one of their TC's before I'd buy many others, sight unseen.

A performance rebuild consists of a rebuild with good parts; the list of 'good parts' is where people differ.

One-piece teflon seals instead of scarf cut; Raybestos Blue frictions; Kolene steels; sonnax parts out the wazoo; a 2002 with a thick VB plate and the reinforcement addon; New accumulator pistons; new Torringtons; new clutch seals; forged intermediate shaft; teflon-coated pump gears; ... there are a few options.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Eeessshhhhh, that sounds horrible!

As for the MT thing, I learned on my dad's 4cyl Nissan hardbody pick-up truck back in the late 90's. It was a bit touch and go for a while not stalling out, but the way he taught me was to feather the clutch out slowly without putting any gas into it in order to get the truck rolling forward on its own power at idle. Once I learned that and was comfortable with that, then I started learning how to apply gas while taking the clutch out. Once I learned that.....I learned the "art" of dropping the clutch at WOT .

Really though, it's not hard. I'd say just learn how to feather out the clutch first without stalling before learning how to apply gas and letting off the clutch.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ive not heard good things about the transmissions referenced above. But, then, I know a guy.

D
CDsDontBurn likes this.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 PM

Garage
Darrin has made a few (hundred, thousand?) extremely good transmissions.

Good to see you around.

There's some new vendor arrangements here, I saw somewhere; You might be interested, IDK.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Ive not heard good things about the transmissions referenced above. But, then, I know a guy.

D
I'd LOVE to have you build this thing D. In fact I was originally planning on having you do it back then but I think that's right around when you were having some shop difficulties...

Logistics is the thing. You're about 4, maybe 5? hours away from here so I don't mind driving it down, but I would love to hear your thoughts on that vs. how much it'd cost to strap to a pallet and ship freight (and also what the heck you think he might've done to that thing since I'm guessing you've seen his "work" explode in the past ). I can call or feel free to PM for details. Or... if I'm better off having you grab a new core and going through it.

Wife and I and a large group are going to Japan in a couple months so we'd be looking at a winter project, most likely.

-Brandon

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well, step one is out of the way.

Just paid the invoice for a new Circle D converter. A 9.5" 3400-3600 stall single plate unit. Once that shows up I'll start to get the car disassembled so I can get the old hunk of junk out of it. The Japan trip is less than 6 weeks out so this is going to be on the back burner until we get back, but at least I've "officially" started the accumulation of parts! Who knows, maybe I'll have mustered the motivation to get the car in the air before we leave!

After that I'll have Darrin build up a core of his liking to pick up, and take the old heap to him as well so he can rip it apart to see what the heck the other dude did (or didn't do) to it.

On a side note, I took the car for a spin around the block a week or so ago. I was listening closely and despite it acting "normal" while all the fluids were cold, I did notice the whiney "pumping" sound for about a second as the converter locked after the 1-2... Hmmm...

-Brandon

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:54 PM

Garage
If you took it apart, you would find that the clutch seals are all worn down and hard, and the teflon ones on the shafts are leaking like crazy.

The plates will probably look good, unless something burnt while it was freaking out. Hard to know unless you look.

The one piece seals are much better than the old scarf cut seals, so the new one should last for a lot of years.

3400? I thought this was a street car...

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Making some progress on the replacement.

Slowly making progress getting the underside of the car ripped apart over the last 6 weeks, and last night my buddy brought his friend's trans jack over and we yanked the thing. Came out easily, which was nice. No shavings or particles in the pan or fluid that I could see either...

I'm serious - if anyone wants the old converter, it's theirs to experiment with for whatever it costs to ship.

Not surprisingly (to me - OR to Darrin), the trans that came out of the car is a 97 trans, NOT the 2004 trans I paid Alan for back in 2012. I wouldn't be surprised if all he did was take it out to put the TC in and clean it then paint it gray (all the tags were painted over) before reinstalling it... Which would explain why it failed after 157,000 miles - 130,000 miles of normal use then 27,000 miles of relative abuse. We'll know for sure after I take it to Darrin and let him tear it apart to see what the story behind it really was.

Darrin will be working on my new trans next week. If I have it my way, I'll have this thing back together before the end of the month.

-Brandon

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Wow. Glad Darrin's close by and can take care of ya.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Not surprisingly (to me - OR to Darrin), the trans that came out of the car is a 97 trans, NOT the 2004 trans I paid Alan for back in 2012. I wouldn't be surprised if all he did was take it out to put the TC in and clean it then paint it gray (all the tags were painted over) before reinstalling it... Which would explain why it failed after 157,000 miles - 130,000 miles of normal use then 27,000 miles of relative abuse. We'll know for sure after I take it to Darrin and let him tear it apart to see what the story behind it really was.
If you are implying what I think you are implying, I'm sorry if this happened to you. This might be a good lesson for everyone -- its always good to mark up a piece of hardware you are sending out for repair work just to make sure what you receive in the end is what you are expecting to get. Even if you are "ruining" the originality of some item, let's be real here: it's not like we are talking about some unobtanium parts like pre-war BMW or 70s Lambo bits. One other explanation could be that you received 2004 trans guts in your original case -- I don't know if that would fit or if that makes sense (I'm not an auto transmission guy), but if my proposed scenario was true you SHOULD have gotten an explanation here.

I remember using an etcher to carve into some GT40 heads I sent out to a friend of a friend to have some SS valves installed. I knew I could see the SS valves in the returned product but I just wanted to just make sure that the heads i got back were the exact same heads I gave the guy. Unlike with reman parts, I didn't want to introduce any additional variables here (I knew what was wrong with MY heads).
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well, I know he did *something* to the trans between when I dropped it off and when I picked it up, because the 4-3 shift seemed much improved and the shifts were different. Maybe all he did was swap on a different valve body. Grog's first sentence in post 2 may have hit the nail on the head after all.

In any case we'll know after Darrin rips it apart to see what's in it. He did say "if that has 97 stamped on the case just behind the bell, then that means it’s a 97" and that "It’s got stock 97 internals." He's seen his share of transmissions "built" by AB in the past, so I'm gambling that he's right about it, unfortunately for me. In any case, I learned my lesson (more than once - first after taking the car back from him and finding issues, and now again after seeing this fine example of 'being taken for a ride') - and just hope that this serves as an example for anyone else out there who may consider doing business with AB/DD in the future.

-Brandon

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:00 PM

Garage
The difference will be obvious; the mech diode and basket, iirc, are different looking.

You will be SO happy with a fresh rebuild!

One word of advice: Don't use Only the brown spring. Especially with a high stall converter, lol.
It makes the 1-2 brutal.

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well, 9 months later and she's back on the road!

The Circle D converter has better low RPM creep than the DD converter but loosens up when you get on it so it feels like it's about the same stall (supposedly 3400-3600). Lockup is much improved; I have my tune set up to lock the converter more or less immediately after the 1-2 shift (to keep noise/attention to a minimum and also to help a bit with economy) around town and before, the application of the clutch would sometimes do what I wanted (quick but not jarring application) and sometimes slam like I was at WOT, shaking the whole drive train and car along with it. In my time on the roads this afternoon, consistently a smooth application - just how I wanted it.

Trans shifts are very precise. Quick and uneventful, no loud "clank" sounds like the old one made when shifting. I haven't beaten on it yet but my first impressions are very good so far. I'm tentatively planning to take it out for an "extended" drive tomorrow (I'm taking it to work and tomorrow I'm heading to Huron, which is about 35 miles at 75 MPH) to see how it behaves on the open road.

I asked Darrin for a brief breakdown of the details of what the build consisted of (e.g. which parts from which year trans, valve body/spring setup etc.) which I imagine I'll be getting when he does the teardown of the old one. He and I both expect it to be the stock 97 trans; I figure DD might've slapped a different valve body on it but the internals... not counting on anything but stock 97 hardware there. For posterity (and kicks!) here's what I was told I would be getting... and I now see how he was masking his true intentions by virtually begging me to let him install his hackjob so I wouldn't catch on right away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
Transmission
Ford Mustang 4.6L,AT 72,554 A P07328 $500 Stricker Auto Parts USA-OH(Batavia) Request_Quote 1-800-582-5405 Request_Insurance_Quote

Call and order that unit, go to ext 137 the guys name is hap, if you can have someone out of state order for you you won't have to pay tax. To get out of paying a core tell him who is coming to get it and it is a builder, that relieves them of all warranty and makes it worth them to not get a core back. They are 3 miles from me I can pick it up, take it apart and inspect it all, switch a 7 tooth output shaft into it with solid sealing rings, upgrade the direct to 7 friction, change the overdrive band to high energy, weld the snap ring on the reverse drum, install a sonnax overdrive servo pin, and a sonnax pressure regulator valve, mod the valvebody and put a new filter on it. You'll have roughly $350-$400 in parts and labor and it will handle 400hp with ease, by other peoples standards that would be an 800hp transmission. Bring your old transmission I will get the lever, extension housing and output shaft from it. I have a set I can use to have the unit ready to go when you get here. The 11 inch converter you have is 2400 stall or higher. 3000 is a very mild improvement and will cost you the same as a 3500 because we have to go to a 10 inch to get there. other choices to make are to use a cast aluminum pan or not and a lube mod or not. You should really consider having me install the unit. I can do the job in a few hours and knwo all the tricks to make it right. The cooler lines are really what makes me say that as it isn't a big deal to me to upgrade the lines to 3/8, doing it yourself would be a very difficult thing, if it needs a rear main seal or even a pinion seal I can do that while I have it on the lift without much additional labor. I run into a bunch of people who want to save a little by installing the transmission themself, it really isn't worth it to most people because the cooler lines are muich easier to upgrade while the transmission is out, the cooler lines on salt belt cars are usually dangerous, both of mine were. To me the transmission install is simple, to a guy on his back in the driveway it is a complete challenege. My wife has watched me remove one in 15 minutes, that is no lie. I had the car ready to go racing after doing a converter swap in less than an hour. Granted my back was much better then and the car had been apart recently. If I have the car here for the entire job I can guarantee you will nto have any problems. When you go do it in your driveway I just wait to see what tiny little thing is going to become a huge nightmare. I shipped a transmission back here from florida because the owner didn't replace his broken off vss. the little stuff that makes carry in transmissions a big ordeal. I do them all the time but if bringing the car here is at all possible I highly suggest it, you will be time and money ahead.
Darrin gets props for another job well done on this one. Pleased with his attitude, knowledge, attention to my needs, professionalism and candor, and product.
Grog6 likes this.

-Brandon

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Brandon, I just wanted to stop in and say I am sorry you are having similar issues to what happened to me, that converter noise that mine made when it let go still haunts me. Yours was a bit deeper sounding than mine was. I'm glad you got it all sorted out. I too ultimately took the Circle D plunge. I went with the triple disk 4200 stall and have no regrets, but I'm also only driving it at the track and for fun now a days. I hope all is well!

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:00 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Good to hear Brandon, enjoy the ride with the new tranny!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Garage
I love that New Tranny Feel.

Wait... That doesn't sound right.

I'm happy you are back on the road, with a reliable setup.

It's a pain feeling like it could die at any moment.

I eagerly await the video; I have popcorn ready.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
Brandon, I just wanted to stop in and say I am sorry you are having similar issues to what happened to me, that converter noise that mine made when it let go still haunts me. Yours was a bit deeper sounding than mine was. I'm glad you got it all sorted out. I too ultimately took the Circle D plunge. I went with the triple disk 4200 stall and have no regrets, but I'm also only driving it at the track and for fun now a days. I hope all is well!
Good to see you still around Chris. Far too many of the good ol' guys have vanished lately!

Wife and I bought a house last month, we're moving in a couple weeks from now. Just a little bit excited!!

-Brandon

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:49 PM

Garage
If I lived closer, I'd come help you move.

There's nothing quite the same as being able to do it "your way."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in