No OD and slipping 3rd. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation No OD and slipping 3rd.

Okay, I have a 97 4R70W transmission installed in a 95 Cougar.

Trans had recent JMOD, fluids were clear when drained originally, replaced with Mobil 1 Mercon V/Dextron multi blend ATF. Fluid levels are good.

New reman torque converter from MK8.

New MLPS

New TC Solenoid

New filter

JMOD was done a few months ago (mild spec), in preparation for install. Just got everything installed last night and took the car out for a shakedown run. Noticed no OD on highway and the trans wouldn't shift back down to 3rd.

If I turn the OD off, the car will operate normally through 1-2, 2-3 shifts, and shift down normally as well.

If I engage the OD, the car will operate normally 1-2, 2-3 then no OD and when slowing down, does not re-engage 3rd. I have to bump it down to 2nd manually to get it to grab a gear.

Just wondering if there is a good place to start without tearing everything apart again.

I'm assuming it's either the band or the shift solenoid.

Thanks in advance.

95 Cougar 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The only way it could be the solenoids is if there is a loose enough connection to allow SS1 to work in 1st and SS2 to work in 3rd, but not enough juice to allow both in 4th.

Do you know if it worked previously? If it did then I'd first check all the connections everywhere and then look at the gaskets and make sure nothing is folded over and leaking.

If you don't know, do you know if the snap ring for the OD servo was still in one piece? Inside the valve body I would check the 3-4 shift valve and also particularly the OD servo regulator valve to make sure everything is clean and moves freely.

D

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in