Leaking fluid - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Leaking fluid

'96 Cougar ~60k; stock
I have a small circle of tranny fluid under the car every so often. Have been checking the fluid level and it's always covering the white plastic on the end of the dipstick and the color & smell is good, not burnt. I got under there the other day and the pan was wet, the tranny cross member had gunk on it probably road debris stuck to fluid. I can't tell where it's coming from. Could it simply be the tranny pan, or is there another likely culprit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 01:32 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Id say either the pan gasket or the tail shaft housing gasket. Mine was leaking from the tail shaft gasket when I pulled it out.

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 01:45 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
A loose tailshaft is a sign of a bad driveshaft.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 02:28 PM
4th Gear Poster

If it only has 60K it would be unlikely to have a bad tail shaft seal. Probably just the pan gasket leaking.

My cougar had around 80k when I bought it and was leaking pretty badly. Someone before I owned it did a transmission fluid service during which the factory reusable rubber pan gasket was tossed away . They replaced it with a cheap cork one, that was the source of my leak. Since I did a service on it and got a new rubber gasket the Cougar is parked in my cement garage for the winter and it hasen't got a drop of anything under it.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I'm hoping it is just the pan gasket, maybe factory reusable isn't quite 20 years of reusable. LOL
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:22 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
A loose tailshaft is a sign of a bad driveshaft.

Thats why Im looking at new ones. Still trying to find one from a 93 mark but Ill probably have one made, and then find one.

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
Thats why Im looking at new ones. Still trying to find one from a 93 mark but Ill probably have one made, and then find one.
-So when you finally make one and the elusive one shows up, let me know so I can get it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:20 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
If you want one racebronco2 on ebay has a solid 93 Mark DS for 180$ shipped. I bought mine from him in early 2015. I have bought a few parts from him over years, hes a good seller.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:57 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
If you want one racebronco2 on ebay has a solid 93 Mark DS for 180$ shipped. I bought mine from him in early 2015. I have bought a few parts from him over years, hes a good seller.
I only have cash so Ill try to get set up tomorrow to get it. thanks

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Any advice on figuring it out for sure? I got under there today while changing the oil, but really can't see much. I drove it on ramps to change the oil, there was a spot of tranny fluid on the driveway and measuring how far forward the car moved up the ramps puts me a approx the back of the tranny. The tranny mount is full or crud like fluid has been spray on there and collect road debris. is there a seal between the tranny and tailshaft housing?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 11:20 PM
V22
2nd Gear Poster

I just fixed up a transmission fluid leak on a family members car. First, I got some engine degreaser and hosed down the general area. Then I scrubbed it with a brush to get the thick bits of crud off, and wiped it down with plenty of shop towels. Prepare to bathe in dirt, lol. Just try to get the area as clean as you can. After that I ran the car, but since this was a slow leak, it wouldn't show up while running on jack stands.

I then added some transmission fluid dye into the oil, and with the use of a UV light and goggles from Autozone, voila! Found the cooler lines to be leaking from the compression fittings.

If you can't see it dripping while idling and it only drips after you drive and park it, some dye might be the solution. Try seeing if your nearby Autozone has a UV light kit for rental.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L , Vermillion
If you see a shiny red car swerving around potholes and parking 10000 miles from all the other plebeians in parking lots, then it's probably me.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
... The tranny mount is full or crud like fluid has been spray on there and collect road debris. is there a seal between the tranny and tailshaft housing?
Get under the car, and clean it with a degreaser, like gunk, and spray it off.

Don't use a bunch of pressure; you don't want to push water into the tranny.

Don't use brake parts cleaner, everything will rust.

You will be able to see where it's coming from after you drive it again.

If you grab the rear yoke where it goes into the tranny, and can move it at all, the bushing is probably bad.

Do you still have a stock driveshaft?

If so, you should buy an afteramrket driveshaft, and a new tailshaft housing that has the lube mod; I think Darrin sells those.

Yup:

https://www.bcawebstore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=10

That already has a bushing in it, and fixes the reason they fail.

I bought driveshafts thru a group buy, and it's been years ago, but I would recommend PST in florida.

They honored the group buy price for years... Never hurts to ask, but...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Very nice, thanks guys. The car is so low it's a royal pain to get under there. I'll check these things out this weekend. As for the UV die, do you need to flush the tranny afterwards?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
Very nice, thanks guys. The car is so low it's a royal pain to get under there. I'll check these things out this weekend. As for the UV die, do you need to flush the tranny afterwards?
No. It will be fine to stay in there.

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm51 View Post
That first post sounded like he was looking at my tranny, always leaves a few drops in the car port (front seal) not leaking enough to worry about, but does rain back across the pan and looks like the pan is leaking but it's not...............and yes I could use a tail shaft gasket also !!!
Do you have a puddle (for lack of a better term) under the TC rubber plug?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 03:11 PM
V22
2nd Gear Poster

Nah, no need to flush the dye, it can stay in there. It's been quite a few months since I originally added the dye (I didn't fix it immediately), and the car has had no shifting problems whatsoever.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L , Vermillion
If you see a shiny red car swerving around potholes and parking 10000 miles from all the other plebeians in parking lots, then it's probably me.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Banned

Get it on 4 jacks and cardboard under it every where..let it sit a few days for easy to see drips..then crawl under it and look up exactly above the drip..
Sitting should help the blow back and confusing you to where the actual leak is.
And put the uv dye in be for you put it up and run it around abit to get it everywhere through the system..
Good luck..
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:52 PM
The Parts Guy

The dipstick tube o-ring is a common leak point as well. If you end up needing one, I have a bunch here.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I got under there this weekend. I was able to tighten the drain plug on the TC about 1/8 of a turn and there was no puddle the next day. I'm going to keep an eye on it with my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in