1-2 accumulator problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

1-2 accumulator problems

My car has some symptoms of a malfunctioning 1-2 accumulator. So today I pulled it out and it's lightly scuffed near the o-ring about a third of the way around. And its bore has some dark marks about halfway up. The springs are unbroken and look ok. The fluid seemed ok and there was very little mud clinging to the magnet and almost no debris in the pan. The pan has only been on for a year because the PO installed one with a drain. A few weeks ago I drained 11 quarts of fluid and replaced it with Motorcraft Mercon V and that did nothing... The PO likely did the same...

I don't think I want to jmod this car. I did watch the long jmod video. Is it OK to use the single spring in a new piston with no other mods? Seems like this is a weak spot. Or is the new style piston ok with the old springs?

My speedo is 11% slow so I pulled the gear to see what it is. It was the dreaded shredded black 23 tooth gear. My car has 3.73 gears. The PO gave me the old 3.27 pumpkin along with a grey (or tan) 18 tooth speedo gear. I plan to get a purple 21 tooth gear because I want it to be reliable so the cruise control will work. I have a GPS speedo and that's all I need for accuracy. Or I could put the 18 tooth one in. I know no speedo gear is going to work accurately with the 7 tooth gear in the transmission output shaft with a 3.73 rear.

Last edited by 97 V8 Swap; 08-22-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 01:30 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Dude, the overall ratio is highly dependent on tires.

You said you were 10% low.

That means the purple gear will probably still be 5 mph low, iirc.

A 7 tooth is easier, it gets harder with the 8 tooth gear.

http://www.sccoa.com/faq/speedgr.html

That says you need an orange gear, and are using factory height tires or bigger. (26.6")

For what it's worth, I'm driving on 02 transmissions with 8 tooth gears, stock rears, but tires need to be on a certain car, or I go back and forth 5mph on the speedo, lol. (I swap the sticky tires around, sometimes.)

The hard part is remembering, "is this speedo fast, or slow?"

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

OK I'll try the orange gear. If it's close that's great. If not, I don't really care. I have a GPS HUD speedo that projects the speed to the lower left corner of the windshield. I have post-it covering the speedo on the dash. I just don't want a gear that will fail at some point. I also have a 70 Cougar with 3.50 rear and an FMX with a purple speedo gear and it's way off too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 03:33 PM

Garage
I went and bought one of each; they weren't that expensive.

I put in the one I need, then buy a new one of that color.

I think I'm currently running purple gears.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I just ordered the orange gear. It was $6.92 with free shipping. If it's fast, I'll take the purple gear out of my other car and try it. Then I'll try to figure out the right gear for the other car.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 06:08 PM

Garage
With my setup, each gear is ~5mph.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I found a Ford Racing speedometer gear usage chart: Speedometer gear usage chart — 7.5" and 8.8" axle . There's a simple equation that uses the tires revs per mile. Revs per mile is information from the tire manufacturer and not all tires have it. It takes into account a loaded tire on a vehicle. My Cooper Cobra 215/70/15s are 26.7" tall and 777 revs per mile. With the Ford equation, I get 20.287 teeth. With the George Davenport calculator, I get 19.7 teeth. I need to knock about half an inch off the George Davenport calculator to account for the tire squish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in