• 1 Post By Grog6
  • 1 Post By Trunk Monkey
  • 1 Post By MadMikeyL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

3k rpm issues

1996 mercury cougar 4.6

The car sat for a year before having to revive it after getting t-boned in my wife's 98 mountaineer. Before it sat I had absolutely no issues with the way it drove. Now it doesn't matter what gear it's in as soon as it hits 3000 rpms it falls flat on it's face. If I keep my foot out of it and keep under 3000 rpms it drives just fine. Also it seems to be running lean, has bad hesitation from a stop, and takes a good bit to kick down into 3rd if I do give it gas to get around someone down the back roads. Someone was telling me it could be the valve body, but i wanted to ask someone here in case someone has had the same issues I've been having and might shed some light on this unfortunate situation.

I appreciate any help that can be given and thank you for taking the time to read.

-Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:38 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Spark plugs and wires are where I'd start; check and see of something is living in the intake or exhaust.

Change the plugs with the engine totally cold, after sitting all night, and put penetrating oil on them before you start.

You might also look down the holes, and see if there is water in there.

If the engine rattles while it's having issues at 3k, it could have a bad fuel pump; you can check the pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail.
Woodman likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:51 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Seafoam and a fresh fuel filter would also be good places to start. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it won't hurt anything to run a can through the gas tank and change the fuel filter. Also, try cleaning the MAF sensor.

I don't think it's your Trans valve body. How old is the trans fluid? Check it out first.
Woodman likes this.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I check and regap the plugs as needed once a year and I did that right before it sat. The engine runs smooth, no rattling or vibration, just some hesitation. I have replaced the fuel filter and ran fuel system cleaner about a month ago when I replaced the brakes. I am the second owner of the car and the first owner had it maintained by the dealer up to 120k miles, which I actually still have the origional owners manual and the service check list signed by the dealership in the glove box along with the dealers business card lol . I bought the car at 128k miles and had the trans flushed at 130k. The odometer broke at 167k lol, but I am sure it's close if not right at 200k miles. I should check the maf sensor again, I haven't cleaned it since it sat. I used to clean that once or twice a year.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 04:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Nothing about what you are describing sounds like a transmission issue, so I would start with looking for vacuum leaks or chewed up wires. Rubber that sits exposed to the elements dries up and cracks, and you could have multiple vacuum leaks causing a lean condition, or a rodent could have chewed up the plug wires, or some injector wires or something. Also, as was said above, fresh gas and a new fuel filter are a good idea, especially if the tank wasn't topped off and fuel stabilizer wasn't added before parking it.
Grog6 likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I will check for vacuum leaks when it cools down outside. it's about 100 out right now with a heat index of 110. I just got done working outside for nearly 12 hours today, I'll pass on going outside unless I have to lolol. I didn't see any chewed up anything under the hood or under the car when I had it up in the air changing the brakes.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 10:06 AM
PostWhore

+3 on the Seafoam and fresh gas. The car sat for a year, and the gas is probably even older than that if it was a part time car. It's pretty likely that will fix you up.

No need to pull the plugs once a year and re-gap. Motorcraft platinums last 60k miles, and even copper's last 30k. If you go to the trouble of pulling them, replace them.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 11:41 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Since you said the car seems to be running lean also check your Mass Air Flow sensor. My 96 Cougar would not rev over 3K when the sensor was bad, but felt normal under 3K under light to moderate acceleration.

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:03 PM
4th Gear Poster

I had to replace the fuel pressure regulator the baffle broke as well as a shift solenoid. that controles 1 and 2 three and four. it would slip out before going into third thought the transmission totally went out. I decided to do that to see if it is the solenoid first glad I did. but the fuel pressure regulator would also do that as well. I thought I had to replace the solenoid again till I swapped out that regulator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in