95 cougar trans replacement - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

95 cougar trans replacement

Hello,

i have been looking for a trans for our 95 cougar, believe I found one from a 00 town car.

Question in my mind is a statement I saw previously, "Any 4R70W not from a FN10 or MN12 has an 8 tooth output shaft" .

Are they talking about the driveshaft or the speedo gear??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
It refers to the number of teeth on the output shaft for the speedo gear. If you don't put the output shaft from your original trans into the one from the Town Car, you will need a different speedo gear (you can use my calculator here to play around a little if you like). You are also more limited in terms of what you can do, rear differential-wise, before you need a speedcal if you ever change gears. Generally speaking (as tire size also has a part to play with the math), with a 7 tooth output shaft you can use 3.73s; with the 8 tooth you're limited to 3.27.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:09 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
You will need to keep some of your internal solenoids; search, there's plenty of threads.

An 00 tranny is a good choice, but remember, it's 18 years old.

Any of these in a jy need the seals replaced at a minimum, unless you want to do this again in a year or so.

The tailshaft is 8 tooth, but iirc, thet's one step size in the internal gear. (they're replaceable, easily.)

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the information
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:05 PM
4th Gear Poster

I have a remand one from a crown vic 02 model. would I have to change out any thing other than the spedo gear? what is the stock size of our tail shaft on ours? would it matter if it is a 10-1/4 or a 11-1/4 length.

not just that I also am putting in one for a client at my shop I noticed that the one he got from rock auto has no tail shaft. I am wondering why is that.

is the different models have different lengths that matter that much?

Last edited by 95mercxr7; 11-26-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in