Vehicle Speed Sensor - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Vehicle Speed Sensor

I did a search on TCCOA but did not find what I needed to know about my Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

I suspect my speed sensor may be crapping out, but when I went to replace it, the type I have is not showing up except under Ford, as a drawing, so I don't know if the pic is correct. My speed sensor has the gears on the speed sensor that goes into the transmission. All other products under RockAuto and other stores show a VSS that the part that goes into the transmission is smooth, not a gear, but has a speedometer shaft at the end of the VSS.

Was this a change made some time ago to use a speedometer cable shaft end instead of a gear? The pic shows the type with a smooth shaft and speedo cable end.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSS.JPG (12.9 KB, 23 views)

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 180k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - still going....
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC - SOLD!
I've had too many other cars to mention...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 08:40 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
That looks like where the gear goes, to me.

There's a clip you pull, and the gear slides off, and you put it on your new sensor.

That said, I can't see how one would go bad...

I've had the same sensor in 5 different transmissions by now, in Lazarus.

And a big collection of Green gears, lol. I'm using the purple one.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
I learned a lot...

In my research on this issue, I learned quite a bit.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor or VSS is the item in the first post pic above. It lets the car know how fast the wheels are turning.

The other sensor on the tranny, the one i bought by accident is the Transmission Speed sensor. It tells the PCM how fast the transmission is turning. which works with the engine to control the balance of speed and torque to the drive shaft.

It turns out that some of the issues I am having with my tranny is related to the speed sensor. And of course, my Ford Service Manual does not go into detail on how to replace it. From what I can tell, I will need to drop the front half of the exhaust to access that part of the tranny. If I had small hands, like someone we know, I could probably get in there, but after removing and re-installing the VSS, I doubt I can get in that area without dropping the exhaust.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TSS F4AZ7H103A.jpg (24.4 KB, 20 views)

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 180k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - still going....
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC - SOLD!
I've had too many other cars to mention...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 01:42 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I was able to plug in the connector on one, with some difficulty, using channellock pliers; you Might be able to pull it out with a couple of ujoints.

It's an english size bolt!! 7/16", iirc.

The tranny sensor bolts are one of the few english ones on our cars.

The TC bolts are english as well. I always remember that just after I round one off.

Before you unbolt everything, support the tranny, and yank the tranny mount crossmember bolts, and it will drop down a bit, that might help.

Just be careful not to put it in a bind.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in