4R70W shifter handle options? - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Grog6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

4R70W shifter handle options?

To the point, are there any? I mean, this transmission seems to be all over the Ford earth but I don't seem to find any aftermarket options, or even mention of different shifter handles/knobs that can be swapped. I did a search but didn't find anything here so if there's an obvious answer/compatibility chart I apologize for missing it.

I don't know if swapping would involve the actual shifter + the handle or not but if there's another option for a shifter handle with an OD button that could fit on my transmission I'd love to see it (Mustang options?) and hopefully it would look different than the stock Thunderbird one (I think the Mark VIII has essentially the same look, yes?).

Separate question, I'm on my second '95 Thunderbird and both shifter handles leak a tiny bit of black grease/goo out of the top (from under the OD button, I think). Is this common?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:33 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
The black goo is the foam inside turning back into crude oil.

The best results I've had was taking the handle to an upholstery shop, and getting them to rebuild it with new leather.

Be careful with the switch; there's a connector in the console.
Trunk Monkey and RalphP like this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:28 PM

upr products makes billet shift knobs designed for mustangs that work to an extent with our vehicles. As Grog6 mentioned there is a connect with two fine wires to it, thats for your overdrive button. Anything aftermarket you'll need to splice those wires to a push button and install it elsewhere. I have one, i gotta finish off the look as you end up with a metal stick with a knob on top. also had to use a coupler to make sure the shifter knob installed tightly. It works. looks and will look even better once I've finished it off than the stock unit IMHO.

I tired to drag and drop a pic but it was HUGE. besides the pic didn't do it justice as the cars been sitting for 4 months and needless to say i have some work to do on the interior.

95 Lx 4.6
coming back to life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 AM
PostWhore

Keep in mind, a billet aluminum shift handle can get too hot to touch in the summer when the car sits out in the heat. I had a Hurst handle on my old Talon.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 78k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 71k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Ya, I'm getting the idea that I'll just have to buy a muscle car era Mustang/Cougar T-handle shifter and just have it modified somehow to fit on the 4R70W shifter shaft or something. It's just amazing to me that the only real option is that B&M universal adapter kit. I mean, is the Thunderbird/Cougar version of this transmission the only one that uses that clip that looks like a staple to hold the shifter handle on?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
I was thinking there were shifters out there with a switch for NO2. Wondering if that would work. CjwKCAjwndvlBRANEiwABrR32C7Tu3KQPdVBJ02yZOf_nNd5Az 2OLb134ticwLct_E1Yn2v7Xlkc2BoC8X4QAvD_BwE
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:25 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
The black goo is the foam inside turning back into crude oil.

The best results I've had was taking the handle to an upholstery shop, and getting them to rebuild it with new leather.

Be careful with the switch; there's a connector in the console.
I don't have the switch on Ruby Jean (the 1991 Cougar), but I need to find a spare one in the boneyard and get one done at my nephew's upholstery shop.

Be another "Damned if I know how to do this?? Let's figure it out!" item I've drug in there for him.

RwP

Fuelly
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:47 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
My guy split it along the seams, took it apart, and rebuilt it from new stuff; it's real leather, and looks and feels like the rest.

I think he used the old pleather as a template.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:09 PM

T6Rocket, Yes you are absolutely correct about the hot handle! I should mention I have very dark tint due to the climate here in Memphis. 5% all the way around with 35% (soon to be 50%) on the front windshield. I don't recommend this for daily drivers of course (or if the local fuzz are ticket happy with tint).

I side with Grog6 on this though, If i still had my original piece, the local upholstery shop can refabricate one with better materials and make it look stock. I personally would have gone this way but at the time I was looking for a quick fix.

this is what I have in my car
87-04 Mustang Billet Bullitt Automatic Shift Knob

the one in black

95 Lx 4.6
coming back to life!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

I have a stock handle from a 96 bird I could sell u
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94onAir22 View Post
I have a stock handle from a 96 bird I could sell u
Thank you, but I want something that doesn't look so... scrotal, hahaaha. I'm thinking modifying something like this -

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/19dexr7shhar.html
https://restorationpartssource.com/s...e-details.html

or something similar (I like the blue option, I plan on painting my Thunderbird blue). I'd like it to be authentic Ford if possible. It's not high on my to-do list for this car, that is fixing the cracked windshield, getting it painted, replacing the driveshaft that I have recently learned is flawed and waiting to fail when I least expect it, etc. But I've always hated that stock shifter knob so if I can find a decent retro/muscle car alternative, that would be ideal. I also am not too enthused about a shifter handle with a big "Hurst" or "B&M" molded into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in