TCCoA Forums banner

Dead trans? TC? Pump?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Djose13 
#1 ·
I just can't win....

So this morning, got in the car and went to work and the car was running/driving/shifting flawless like it has been all week.

Go to pick up lunch, no problems whatsoever. Head back to work, trans seems "soft" in its shifts, no longer that positive almost bang-like grab from 1-2 and 2-3 under normal traffic conditions, and when cruising at 30-35 without changing throttle would seem like it's coasting in lockup as if I let off the pedal.

Going home for the day, things got really bad... takeoffs started slipping, 1-2 and 2-3 slow and long, and eventually just managed to baby it home (hopefully) without roasting my nice Rays clutches. Oddly, after babying it up out of first (and I mean BABY it, it was slipping on takeoff real bad) I held it in 2nd then let it shift to 3rd and it did the proper grab, but then felt soft again after a second or two.

Fluid is clean on the stick and doesn't smell burnt, trans is only 3 months old (full rebuild).

Looking for some of that golden sage advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
Edit: missed the Full Rebuild part, lol.

It could be trash in a seal; a single thread from a rag can fail one.

Possibly something blocked the fluid inlet, that would go with it failing worse as you drive.

Either the pump is leaking internally, or the shaft seals are leaking. Most likely pump, or blockage.

Either way, it's ~$100 to pull it, look at it, and replace the fluid and filter, if you do all the work yourself.

#3 ·
SO---

I've been down and out over the past few weeks with one thing or another, but I've now put the car back on the rack and just today dropped the valve body out...

First thing I spotted was a small C-clip sitting atop the reinforcement plate under the OD servo.
Definitely some clutch material on the magnet, but as far as how bad the damage is remains to be seen... the fluid was actually quite clean.

I really REALLY don't want to have to drop the trans again, but I'll have to poke a bit more to see if that's necessary.

Seeing as how I'm not exactly a transmission pro, I have to ask:
If the clip came off the OD pin in the OD servo, what would this affect? It's obviously not good, but it would help to know what to look for.

For the record, when I moved the car from the driveway to the yard where the rack is (cold), reverse works just fine. Shifting into "D" yielded a fairly strong amount of grab (but not perfect), but I only went forward all of 50 feet and barely above idle at that for a few seconds.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Exactly what I needed to know, you're the man G.

Side note, that IS a Sonnax pin. The whole trans has been Sonnax-ified top to bottom save for the servos, which are billet 2-3 and OD (no billet 1-2 offered and reverse not necessary) from Fairbanks. It also has kolene steels, Ray's red clutches, kevlar reverse, Red Eagle OD band, 300M stub, forged Sonnax forward drum, and billet input shaft.

Now that I know what the problem most likely is, I'm going to pull that servo tomorrow after work and make double damn sure it doesn't happen again. Kinda would explain that as it warms up the problem gets worse, aluminum servo expanding faster/more than the steel pin.

I just hope the grippy bits didn't get burnt to ****, I babied it as best I could when I realized what was happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.